Nationals Acquire Adam Eaton

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Nationals Close To Acquiring Adam Eaton

Post by Fat Strat »

Spider John wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:So if we think we are 10+ wins behind the Cubs on paper, and it doesn't make a difference if you miss a wild card spot by 1 win or 15 wins, is the better option for the Cardinals this winter to actually shop some of their more attractive players that may not be core guys 2-3 years from now?

Marp? Lynn? Wong? Heck even throw Piscotty and Diaz out there as options, and see who nibbles. This may just be a dynamite trade market this winter with the free agent class being so poor.
I am beginning to wonder the same thing. What could we get for Marp and Lynn?

Regardless, I really am OK with us just passing on everything. We'll see about Fowler, but it really doesn't look like he's going to get a deal that we can stomach in terms of length. Money, appears to be no issue at all. Even according to Goold today. Said so in his chat. It's all about years.
But isn't getting a player who will decline and not be worth his contract toward the end of his deal not about money?
Yeah, I guess it is, but at that point the player becomes the issue, not his salary. I'm concerned with what Fowler will be in year 5, not what he will cost us. But, there are ways of dealing with that, too.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I'm embarrassed to say I that I basically have no idea who Adam Eaton is.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

and for those who can't see tweets

Rosenthal: On other hand, one #Nationals player sent me this text: "WTF?!?!"

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

It's not overpaying if everyone is paying the same prices. Then it's just "the market".

They should absolutely be shopping get Rosie, Wong and Wacha in this market. That said, they may have to just bite the bullet and pay more than they want one of these times. Just once.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

lukethedrifter wrote:I'm embarrassed to say I that I basically have no idea who Adam Eaton is.
He's kind of a modern day Lenny Dykstra, and he's salty like that too.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

wacha wont fetch much in the offseason, but they can put him in some high leverage innings out of the bullpen and bring a nice haul at the deadline.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

You'll get a lot more for Wacha at the deadline if he can stay healthy and be effective in the new bullpen role. Even if you don't trade him you potentially get more value out of him staying on the team. Right now you would be trading him just to get rid of him and get like a C level prospect for him that'll probably never even make it to the majors.

Woolkins
Everyday Player
Location: Discovering a portal that leads literally into the head of John Mozeliak

Post by Woolkins »

go birds wrote:wacha wont fetch much in the offseason, but they can put him in some high leverage innings out of the bullpen and bring a nice haul at the deadline.
one of my puget sound educated friends was ranting recently about how wacha will not pitch in the bullpen. his chronic shoulder condition is only (hopefully) manageable in a regimen designed around knowing when he will pitch.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Adam Eaton was a 6 win player last year on a dirt cheap contract. I have actually come to the conclusion that Lucas Giolito is a player that doesn't live up to his hype and I'm not a Lopez guy. I like Dane Dunning, but I would've been ticked with him at the Cards pick last year, so I really see him as a reliever, honestly.

What the Nats gave up was a lot- no doubt- but if Adam Eaton is a 15 win player over the next three years, the Nats will be thrilled with the deal.

For me, Reyes is on another planet than Giolito, despite what national rankings tell you.

XZero77
Single A Minor League Player

Post by XZero77 »

One of the problems I'd have with this if I were a Nats fan is that Eaton, while great in RF, has been poor-mediocre defensively in CF, which is where he seems destined to play. A decent chunk of Eaton's WAR last year came from his defense. He's not a 6 WAR CF.