Boxing

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Boxing

Post by thrill »

Socnorb11 wrote:I kinda liked one of the suggestions on ESPN. Make it boxing for the first 4 or 5 rounds, then MMA after that. It would force Mayweather to be more aggressive, and go for an early knockout, rather than just trying to tally points.
But if they did that, it would not happen and they would not make absurd amounts of wealth.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

thrill wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:I kinda liked one of the suggestions on ESPN. Make it boxing for the first 4 or 5 rounds, then MMA after that. It would force Mayweather to be more aggressive, and go for an early knockout, rather than just trying to tally points.
But if they did that, it would not happen and they would not make absurd amounts of wealth.
Bingo. Mayweather will just prance around the floor throwing a bunch of jabs here and there for the entire 12 or 13 rounds, and afterwards will proudly show off his check written out for $300M.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I don't know. I have a hard time believing he won't knock him out. It would be like how I would have a hard time believing 40 year old Greg Maddux wouldn't strike out Jordan Spieth, or whoever the best golfer you can think of would be. The disciplines are just too different. It's like the difference between being an elite weight lifter and an elite arm wrestler.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I wonder if this isn't McGregor's swan song.

He's making, what, $3M or so a fight in the UFC. This payday will dwarf that, and he'll probably collect upwards of $75M.

He's made no qualms about not wanting to be a fighter his entire life.

[twitter]https://twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/sta ... 44?lang=en[/twitter]

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

He apparently committed to a UFC title defense in December barring unforeseen circumstances such as injury or, god forbid, actually beating Mayweather and then being able to line up subsequent, 9-figure paydays as a boxer.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

The line has moved in vegas from something like Mayweather -2250/McGregor +1000 to Mayweather -800/McGregor +500

Those spreads are still huge, but I have to think the earlier lines more closely reflected the odds. Mayweather is one of the best boxers of all time, obviously, and McGregor has never boxed professionally as far as I know.

In the end, if this is just a way for McGregor to get rich and then get out as his tweet suggests (ie, dance around and avoid getting KO'd), then I'd give him a 0.000000000000001% chance of winning. If he actually is going to try to win (ie, like try to become a boxer over the next 2 months and go in willing to pay the price of being aggressive for however many rounds it takes to be knocked out or knock Mayweather out), then I'd give him a 0.1% chance of winning....maybe slightly higher. He has the hand speed and strength at 154 to hurt Mayweather. But, Mayweather has made a lot of fighters with more strength and faster hands look stupid....and those guys were professionals that traiend their whole life.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

thrill wrote:He apparently committed to a UFC title defense in December barring unforeseen circumstances such as injury or, god forbid, actually beating Mayweather and then being able to line up subsequent, 9-figure paydays as a boxer.
I've heard that, but I have also hear there is no contractual obligation. He may do it, or he may not. Of all the fighters out there, it's tough to think of many that have more public contempt for the UFC organization.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:it's tough to think of many that have more public contempt for the UFC organization.
Just for fun: Al Iaquinta, Anderson Silva, & Rory MacDonald.

You might be right. I have a hard time seeing it just yet though. Not at the height of his fame and earning ability. Also, he has no real contempt for the UFC. He's negotiating leverage at all times. He has such little contempt for the UFC, he wants to be an owner.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i'm not really into the "beat the crap out of your opponent" sports so i wouldn't watch anyways. add in the unlikable personalities (you too dana) and the absurd amount of money involved and its a real dud for me personally....other than i guess the gimmickness of it...which i got over pretty quickly.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

On the other hand, it would be pretty hilarious to see McGregor throw the rules to the curb and just immediately start literally kicking the [expletive] out of Mayweather. The automatic disqualification would be worth it. God Mayweather is a piece of [expletive] human being.