Podcasts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Podcasts

Post by Freed Roger »

On the Media's 5 part series busting poverty myths
http://account.wnyc.org/accounts/activa ... 140ccb260/

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I've been enjoying this outside/in podcast.
http://nhpr.org/topic/outsidein#stream/0

Northeast based. stories about various outdoorsy things. Not as overwrought as similar themed podcasts. Had a recent episode about Times Beach

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

My most recent list includes:

- Best Podcast in Baseball (Cardinals baseball, obviously)
- Up and Vanished (True crime, case broke midway through and still unraveling)
- The Liturgists Podcast (Makes me think differently about my faith)
- The Future Great City Podcast (Features St. Louis leaders and imagines STL as a future great city)
- Reply All (Obscure stories from the internet)
- We Live Here (NPR; Looks at race and equality in St. Louis)
- Planet Money (NPR; 20 minute interesting economic stories)
- Invisibilia (NPR; looks at "hidden forces" in the world)

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I finally listened to S-Town, after hearing a lot of good things about it. I liked it. It's an interesting story about a very interesting guy.

But it felt a lot to me like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. It was a murder injustice first, than it was a treasure hunt/estate battle, until it finally settled into a story about a brilliant and odd and tortured man in a small, sad place. I suppose that this could kind of be the point; being about a small redneck town. But for me the seams between the story shifts weren't executed very well.

I'd say it's definitely worth a listen. It was a staggering amount of work. In my estimation it's a ground rule double where it had all the material to be a grand slam.
Hoot45 wrote:My most recent list includes:

- Best Podcast in Baseball (Cardinals baseball, obviously)
- Up and Vanished (True crime, case broke midway through and still unraveling)
- The Liturgists Podcast (Makes me think differently about my faith)
- The Future Great City Podcast (Features St. Louis leaders and imagines STL as a future great city)
- Reply All (Obscure stories from the internet)
- We Live Here (NPR; Looks at race and equality in St. Louis)
- Planet Money (NPR; 20 minute interesting economic stories)
- Invisibilia (NPR; looks at "hidden forces" in the world)
Some of those episodes are absolutely excellent. Really good storytelling. They said August is going to be a best of month, so could be a good time for people to jump in (or just a find a list of the best episodes somewhere).

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

bald move game of thrones podcast is a great way to pass a couple hours every week

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Talking of GoT podcasts, the two non-hosts from the Ringer's GoT recap show have done an episode-by-episode one where they go deep into all manner of theories and so on. I got a bit bored of the most recent "TV" show they all did, but just two of them together ought to be alright.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

go birds wrote:bald move game of thrones podcast is a great way to pass a couple hours every week
I've been listening to those guys for years and I pay for their club subscription. All their podcasts are good. They do Fargo, Better Call Saul, and a Walking Dead podcast that's fair but often ends up being kind of a roast. Did a great Leftovers cast too.

They're both from here (Indiana) and are both atheist ex-Jehovah Witnesses and have some great stories about their history in that "cult" - their word for it.

They've built up a general audience over time, but the GOT podcast has now become a top ten podcast when it's running, and finally got to number one for all podcasts on iTunes the other day.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Since you guys were talking about Game of Thrones podcasts, there are a TON, but I'd like to throw this out there for you guys if you want.

We started a modcast in r/asoiaf earlier this year, called Maester Monthly, it's mainly geared towards book readers but I've been told from people that its great even if you're just coming from the show. We don't make any money off of it, no ads, and have no intention of ever monetizing it, but we put a huge amount of time into it and I'd say we have production values that are on par with the big names. We also pull from the subreddit with the top posts we liked and cite the posters, which I think is fairly unique among podcasts where... a lot of them tend to read or hear about stuff in the fandom and don't know where it comes from or sometimes play it off as their own ideas. We cite everyone when its not from us.

Also you get to hear me for better or worse. Check it out if you want. If you enjoy the others you might enjoy it. I dunno. Feedback is always appreciated. Also its on itunes and google play, just search Maester Monthly, but it won't have the glowing shields and stuff.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

ghostrunner wrote:
go birds wrote:bald move game of thrones podcast is a great way to pass a couple hours every week
I've been listening to those guys for years and I pay for their club subscription. All their podcasts are good. They do Fargo, Better Call Saul, and a Walking Dead podcast that's fair but often ends up being kind of a roast. Did a great Leftovers cast too.

They're both from here (Indiana) and are both atheist ex-Jehovah Witnesses and have some great stories about their history in that "cult" - their word for it.

They've built up a general audience over time, but the GOT podcast has now become a top ten podcast when it's running, and finally got to number one for all podcasts on iTunes the other day.
'

yea i may bite the bullet and pay for a sub. i like listening to their perspective on the show so i imagine their other stuff would be pretty good too.

and Kird...just added ya. I *just* started the books so i like the different perspectives as well.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

LA Times - Dirty John

Really good podcast