Wristwatches

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Wristwatches

Post by pioneer98 »

I got one of them Fossil hybrid smartwatches. It worked great until yesterday, then for some reason the minute hand decided to be 5 minutes fast all the time. It's 5 minute off on all functions - time, date, and notifications, etc. Maybe they don't have all the bugs worked out quite yet. I'm looking to return it and get a new one.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I got the issue above figured out. There is a "calibration" in the app that fixed it. I do like the watch overall but there are a couple things about it that bug me though. The first is the notifications. I have it set up so if my wife contacts me, the hands point at the “1”. It only works if she texts or calls me though. If she sends me a Facebook message or a Hangouts message or something, it doesn’t work. You can set up notifications for those apps, too, but only for ALL notifications from those apps. So a Facebook message from anyone would point at #5 or something. It would be cool if contacts worked across more apps than just calls or texts.

The other issue is the step count. I have it set up to send the step count to Google Fit. The two counts never match. I turned off the tracking function of Google Fit (which uses phone movements to track steps). So the only device tracking my steps is the watch. The app for the watch says 3,500 steps, but Google Fit says 2,900 steps. Google Fit is always a lot less, no clue why. The Fossil app does not log data back farther than a week (unless I'm missing something). So the only reason I'm even messing with Google Fit is to try to keep more than 1 week of data.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

My trusty original Zenwatch decided to crap out after three and a half years. When I woke up yesterday morning and went to put it on, it was just dead. Sad day. Even after all of the time I had it, the thing still got compliments from people. I still laugh about last fall when I was on a bar crawl and somebody with an Apple watch complimented me on how sleek and nice it look. I was shocked to look at hers and realize that the Zenwatch was a lot slimmer and just better looking. I'd never paid attention before.

Even though I don't really need a smartwatch, it took about two hours to realize how much I actually used the thing so I ordered a new one that will be delivered tomorrow. I didn't really want to spend the money to replace it but I found a Zenwatch 2 for $50 with free expedited shipping so I went ahead and ordered that. Still nowhere near top of the line or even the newest Zenwatch but if the original did everything I needed it to, I am sure the Zenwatch 2 will be just fine for me.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Oops. I just looked at my confirmation email again for the replacement watch and noticed that it is the smaller version. Dang. I really liked the size of my original Zenwatch and I don't think I want the smaller size. Hopefully the difference isn't really that much. The other thing is that the smaller size obviously uses a smaller size watch band so the bands I have won't work.

I'm going to have to either buy new band(s), return this one and buy something else or maybe I'll just give this one to somebody with smaller wrists and buy another watch.

I completely forgot that there were two sizes in the second generation until this afternoon since there was only one size in the first generation.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

My Fossil was destroyed in the car accident, but when I went into the Fossil store to buy a new one, they said if I brought it in, I'd get half off a new one? Seems a bit unlikely, but I did go home and fish it out of the trash just in case.

But while I was there (the outlet mall in Chesterfield) I bought a new wind-up skeleton watch, which they kept throwing discounts at me for. $350 watch for a little over $150...and it's not on the website any more, so I presume it's a discontinued variety but who cares because it's amazing. (BQ2271)

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I never thought I'd want one, seeing as reaching into your pocket didn't seem an awful lot more burdensome or that helpful in any of my situations than turning your wrist, but now I can track my glucose levels on a smart watch, so I'm in the market. It would be nice to make more subtle checks of my glucose levels in some situations. And my "Yes, I'm a Life Flight brain surgeon" joke is getting REALLY old, so the "Is that a pager?" question about my meter isn't fun anymore (will still have to face it with the pump, however).

I'd like something sleek and low to the wrist and not accentuating the old ladyness of my wrists.The Zenwatch is a contender. I really like the paperwhite screen that the pebble has, but Fitbit bought and killed pebble and it will lose support, so I don't think it's a great idea to get one--especially as more and more continuous glucose meter watchfaces are created.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:I never thought I'd want one, seeing as reaching into your pocket didn't seem an awful lot more burdensome or that helpful in any of my situations than turning your wrist, but now I can track my glucose levels on a smart watch, so I'm in the market. It would be nice to make more subtle checks of my glucose levels in some situations. And my "Yes, I'm a Life Flight brain surgeon" joke is getting REALLY old, so the "Is that a pager?" question about my meter isn't fun anymore (will still have to face it with the pump, however).

I'd like something sleek and low to the wrist and not accentuating the old ladyness of my wrists.The Zenwatch is a contender. I really like the paperwhite screen that the pebble has, but Fitbit bought and killed pebble and it will lose support, so I don't think it's a great idea to get one--especially as more and more continuous glucose meter watchfaces are created.
I still wear a pager single every day for work, and have since 2009ish. They have not gotten any more attractive in that timeframe.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

This is the old watch (silver, larger) and the new one. I really like the slight changes in functionality/navigation with the Zenwatch 2 but I messed up an ordered the smaller rose gold option and not the larger silver so that I could use the bands I already have. I'm going to think about it this week and order another watch soon. I'm sure I can find somebody who wants this new rose gold one or I'll just give it to somebody if I can't get my $50 back.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The replacement for my original Zenwatch and then the ordered in error ladies Zenwatch 2 finally arrived today. I ended up giving the one with the orange band in the picture above away to a friend. I was smarter and had this one shipped to the office so it is setting up now. It is basically the same as the first one I had but I have already noticed that this one has a built in speaker unlike the first gen or even the lady version I ordered the other week. It keeps chiming every time I get a notification but I can't turn it off yet because it is still going through the configuration process!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I just ordered a Leatherman watch