The Car Discussion Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by Freed Roger »

Gashouse wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Now that I have a Subaru, it seems like everybody has them.

Funny how that works.

BTW - I never have been a "car person"...but really like it, Crosstrek.

this was after I PMd Karp with questions on other cars (used). I upsold myself into a new.
I'm strongly considering a Subaru, but I already know that every other car on the road here is an Outback. I've had 2 cars in a row that handle terribly in the snow, and I'm sick of it. Plus, I really miss having a hatchback.
My wife had it in the snow a lot shuttling relatives around rural NW MO to see her dying grandpa in hospital. She attests to its handling.

Subaru obvious known to be dependable. Holds it value. I just like it -though some of the features i am rip van winkling over (blind spot indicators rear camera, hands free etc) are getting standard to other vehicles.

And the rear camera -this one actually gives a good view. Though I still look back. And the hands free and voice commands - my version syncs the phone apps more directly -not completely seamless, but more just like using your smartphone than some other syncd handsfree interface.

In other words- I only tell the voice to [expletive] off about once a day compared to the once every hour on our 2013 mazda.
I do like the hatch. Even with the clearance below, The roof isnt so damn up there like a SUV so I can load the roof easy. I've taken a SUP, kayak and two bikes (on back) on this Crosstrek. No problem. Good times.

If you get it, they have some sort of superfluous app called starlink, which gets reamed in reviews by the techies that tend to get subarus, so I never downloaded

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

In STL, I don't buy vehicle based on snow abilities, but damn my Subaru was dominant in the snowstorm last Friday evening. Had a 30 mile drive in it on local roads (hilly, out by Six Flags) at the time interstate 44 was getting clobbered.

I just switched to manual mode, to downshift, and minimized braking etc. Hills, no problem Mine also has something called X-Mode - more sensitive AWD, tractioncontrol, clutch pressure or whatever -I never have used it, and needed to be in park to activate

Saw so many vehicles stuck stopped and slid off road -at least 20 on the trip - hell, I was so chill listening to my music stream, petting my dog in next seat that I lost track. I tempted to stop and help, but it would have created more cluster, and really what good would I do helping them back onto a further deteriorating condition?

Re:vehicles off the road that weren't me. This post, only 10%, jerking off,. But I reckoned only some of the carnage was do to user error, panicsville and SUVs going too fast etx., I empathized with some -I figured some were retail and FF workers in older cars trying to get out of exurbian hellzone they commute to. (aah my days of 80s model RWD Chevy hatchback. with sandbags in it couldnt get up or down the slightest of grades.)

BTW, I dont understand vehicles and physics so well, but seemed like the proportions on this vehicle helped it. Clearance, AWD but compact It doesnt have the weight the sliding SUVs and trucks have which I surmise make it harder to stop/slow down when nonslick ground can't be found.
Now watch I end up in a ditch this weekend.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

We have an AWD Infiniti and a big boxy 4WD Honda Pilot. I really like that Honda but the little G series sedan runs circles around it in the snow. It's not even close.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I tested my on demand AWD Escape by plowing into my unshoveled driveway. It failed. Was fine on slick and sloppy roads but it’s awd utility is limited.

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Corky »

I suppose there are a lot of good reliable quality cars and trucks and suv’s out there, but without doing a lot of research I believe that Toyota ranks right up there. As far as the Camry and the previous opinion on it, everyone has a right to their opinion but the new Camrys are really sharp looking in my opinion, and have that Toyota quality. I have owned many vehicles in my 73 years, more than I can remember. Most I have purchased or leased new. Most have had some “bugs” to be worked out or have had to go back to the dealer, some multiple times. In May of 2016 I purchased a Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid. It has 194 hp with a 2.5 engine. I now have 25,000 miles on it. It has normal, economy, sport and electric motor only modes. There are two electric motors and an Atkinson gas engine. It averages 35 mpg which isn’t bad for a suv with AWD. All that being said, it is the first vehicle that I have owned that has had no issues, absolutely NONE! It came over on the boat from Japan. Unless it disappoints me in the near future, I am happy as a clam to have it. It is comfortable too. I expect to have it for a very long time. Oh yeah, it is wonderful in snow. When it idles, only the electric motors run, unless the charge in the motor drops, then the gas engine kicks in. Another gas saver.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

alright dudes gotta question for the resident car gurus....

there something really bizarre going on with my car and i for the life of me can't pinpoint the issues.

Every so often, it will make this "whooooop" sound and there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it.

At first, i thought perhaps it could be friction in my steering column, but nope, it does it even when im idle at a light.

Then i thought it could be my A/C but nope, it does it when im running the heat as well. And i'm fairly certain it does it when I'm not running the ac or heat.

It's truly mind-boggling. Has ANYONE had a similar experience? I figured id run it by you guys before i take it to a mechanic and look like an idiot trying to explain what is going on. And yes, it literally sounds like the "whoop" a cop car make when it's rolling up on someone to get their attention.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I've got nuthin' go birds.....that's a new one on me

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

anti-vaxxer...it's prob whooping car-ph

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

go birds wrote:alright dudes gotta question for the resident car gurus....

there something really bizarre going on with my car and i for the life of me can't pinpoint the issues.

Every so often, it will make this "whooooop" sound and there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it.

At first, i thought perhaps it could be friction in my steering column, but nope, it does it even when im idle at a light.

Then i thought it could be my A/C but nope, it does it when im running the heat as well. And i'm fairly certain it does it when I'm not running the ac or heat.

It's truly mind-boggling. Has ANYONE had a similar experience? I figured id run it by you guys before i take it to a mechanic and look like an idiot trying to explain what is going on. And yes, it literally sounds like the "whoop" a cop car make when it's rolling up on someone to get their attention.
The doing it at idle is throwing me because I thought for sure it was a wheel bearing when I read the "whooooop."

Any chance it's happening under braking? Could be a master cylinder.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

IMADreamer wrote:
go birds wrote:alright dudes gotta question for the resident car gurus....

The doing it at idle is throwing me because I thought for sure it was a wheel bearing when I read the "whooooop."

Any chance it's happening under braking? Could be a master cylinder.
actually i meant to mention that...the brake light is on and it's definitely time for new brakes and/or rotors, so that could be possibly be related to that. I'll test it out, but maybe it does only do that when i'm braking. hmmmmm

Just weird because it sounds like its coming from the dash area.