TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Freed Roger »

Freed Roger wrote:JAck Ryan on Amazon prime is good. Avoided it for a while, due to my notion of it having a hackneyed theme, white good superman vs bad muslims. Still some of that, but Krasinski is good as well as Wendell Pierce (The Wire). They do some humanizing of Middle Eastern characters (and then kill them off....ok not sure -3 episodes in)
Taking back my recommendation as I slog towards the finish of this. Once Jack Ryan character is revealed with the vast skill set and unmatched intuition blah blah blah, it becomes terrible. It's ridiculous.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Murder Mountain docuseries is good. More than a crime series - entails the Humboldt County CA history from hippies to war on drugs thru legalizations. Worth watching to get to know this place.

Edit: finished it. still worth watching but gosh dang they milked it. And the people in Humboldt County do not look impressive at all. The OG Original Growers mostly haven't aged well, look like they have a headache. Some sad looking people. Granted, surely some is byproduct of being in a culture of illegality, and the associated stresses and risks. But I dunno, doesn't look good. Some dumb looking people in the spotlight here.
Last edited by Freed Roger on December 31 18, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

My brief thoughts on Bandersnatch: Black Mirror releasing post-Christmas is something I really look forward to and this fueled my excitement. I loved the novelty of the format...
[SHOW]
But I would have rather had a 4-6 episode season like in the past, rather than this CYOA experiment. It was cool I guess, and fairly well executed, but not the sort of epic mind bending Black Mirror entertainment that I have grown to love. It certainly was groundbreaking and probably smart for Netflix to pioneer a made for Netflix interactive film, but even for a CYOA it seems like it has low replay value. I'm still hungry for the traditional Black Mirror season.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Freed Roger wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i don't have amazon so it's not an issue but krasinski as jack ryan? no way. seems like he's trying to be chris pratt light
Also, commenced my 3rd free trial membership with Amazon prime. Got my calendar reminder set to cancel, and know where the cancel option is buried on the their site. Middle-aged Man strikes again.

Suck it Bezos.
What's your secret? I'm a current Prime member. Is there a trick to getting trial memberships? Would like to knock down that $120/year expense at all if I can.
Infrequent user of the streaming video. And random with shipping needs, normally the standard cheapest/slowest is good enough. (it still is quick)

Seems like it has been at least 6 months since last time (watched a couple seasons of The Wire then) Twice it was by accident/Amazon trickery, when clicking to buy something it signed me up.
Prime is only worth it if you
1. Buy a lot on Amazon and pile up savings on shipping and/or
2. Use the streaming service a lot and as your primary and/or
3. Deal-shop Whole Foods for Prime member savings.

I think any of those three things can make up for membership. We do all three so it works out.

Back to teevee, I recently started The Good Place and marathoned my way to the current ep pretty quickly. I'm utterly in love with Janet. That most recent episode where D'Arcy Carden plays each character in the body/voice of Janet was pretty wonderful. This show doesn't really go anywhere--there's no mystery to solve, there's no pot of gold at the end--but there are these small little bits of character development along the way told through these micro-lessons in ethical philosophy that make it so good.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Hoot45 wrote:My brief thoughts on Bandersnatch: Black Mirror releasing post-Christmas is something I really look forward to and this fueled my excitement. I loved the novelty of the format...
[SHOW]
But I would have rather had a 4-6 episode season like in the past, rather than this CYOA experiment. It was cool I guess, and fairly well executed, but not the sort of epic mind bending Black Mirror entertainment that I have grown to love. It certainly was groundbreaking and probably smart for Netflix to pioneer a made for Netflix interactive film, but even for a CYOA it seems like it has low replay value. I'm still hungry for the traditional Black Mirror season.

I was going to come on here and ask if anyone else has done it yet. I thought it was really interesting and a pretty cool format. I wonder if you make different selections how many different scenarios there are?
[SHOW]
Did your guy end up killing the father and ending up in jail?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Comedy central doing a Reno 911 marathon right now. Hell yeah

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Freed Roger wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:JAck Ryan on Amazon prime is good. Avoided it for a while, due to my notion of it having a hackneyed theme, white good superman vs bad muslims. Still some of that, but Krasinski is good as well as Wendell Pierce (The Wire). They do some humanizing of Middle Eastern characters (and then kill them off....ok not sure -3 episodes in)
Taking back my recommendation as I slog towards the finish of this. Once Jack Ryan character is revealed with the vast skill set and unmatched intuition blah blah blah, it becomes terrible. It's ridiculous.
It was like watching an 8-hour episode of network TV shows like NCIS, SEAL Team, S.W.A.T. You know how it’s going to end, just in the nick of time, yada yada.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

If you watch Top Chef, this season is off to a great start and I would recommend listening to Tom Haberstroh & Kevin Arnovitz's podcast, Pack Your Knives. It's great. Follows a fantasy squad format and they give it the same scrutiny they give covering the NBA (their day jobs).