Cool surprise Christmas gifts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Cool surprise Christmas gifts

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I’ve seen a lot of stuff on YouTube about air fryers and seen them increasingly around the few stores I frequent but don’t know much about them. What’s their story? Do they use air or moist air or something to cook? I guess I could just google it but would prefer to hear from someone reputable (aka on grb) about it.

Also, good luck cutting down those trees!

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

cardinalkarp wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Sister got me an immersion circulator (sous vide). Just did some NY strips, and holy [expletive], it's great. Amazingly foolproof.

I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you.....but I just bought one :D
After reading further reviews I cancelled my order, I just don't see the point in having to cook steaks or roasts for 10x the amount of time of conventional methods
It's definitely a "quality over quantity" type thing. The flavor is amazing, because it's vacuum sealed. What I like is that every single bite is cooked exactly the same.

Typically if I'm doing a porterhouse, I cut the filet and strip off the bone and then cook because its almost impossible to cook it correctly as a whole. No need to doing sous vide.

While it doesn't cook quickly, there is a "set and forget" aspect to it. If I have it going and something comes up I can let it stay in an extra hour and not care. But like anything else, if you feel that you wouldn't really use it, don't buy it.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Sister got me an immersion circulator (sous vide). Just did some NY strips, and holy [expletive], it's great. Amazingly foolproof.

I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you.....but I just bought one :D
After reading further reviews I cancelled my order, I just don't see the point in having to cook steaks or roasts for 10x the amount of time of conventional methods
It's definitely a "quality over quantity" type thing. The flavor is amazing, because it's vacuum sealed. What I like is that every single bite is cooked exactly the same.

Typically if I'm doing a porterhouse, I cut the filet and strip off the bone and then cook because its almost impossible to cook it correctly as a whole. No need to doing sous vide.

While it doesn't cook quickly, there is a "set and forget" aspect to it. If I have it going and something comes up I can let it stay in an extra hour and not care. But like anything else, if you feel that you wouldn't really use it, don't buy it.

Yeah, I definitely can see some of the advantages.....but it's just not the right device for me at this time. I like the act of grilling or cooking, but maybe i'll put it on my Christmas list for next year.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

My dad got me a bottle of Glenmorangie 12 year nectar d'or. That baby is smoooooth.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Mods, maybe this can be split into an Official Sous Vide Cooking Thread since we have one for smoking meat.
karp wrote:I like the act of grilling or cooking, but maybe i'll put it on my Christmas list for next year.
Me too, and when I cook a NY strip or a tenderloin it's not by sous vide, for a couple reasons. First, I can grill/stovetop cook a strip steak as well as I can sous vide it, so why bother. Second, because cooking a nice cut of meat is not what an immersion circulator is for so I'm not really getting any value out of it.

You guys with immersion circulators, try this out. Do a 145 bath and do two bone-in short ribs, one for 24 hours and one for 48. Do a 129 bath and do one for 24 hours and one for 72 hours. The 24 hour 145 degree and the 72 hours 129 degree are AMAZING. You get a strip steak texture and flavor out of a short rib. You get a $23/lb piece of meat for $7/lb. This is where buying that immersion circulator really pays off, where your'e really maximizing it's potential and cooking in a whole new way for results you can't otherwise achieve.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I made Eggs Benny this morning for the wife. There's nothing quite like cracking a perfectly poached egg directly over the slice of Canadian bacon. So much easier than dealing with the water/vinegar combo and swirling the egg in the vortex and all that crap.

1. Set cooker to 146
2. Use a spoon to carefully drop whole eggs in the bath
3. Set timer for 60 minutes
4. Five minutes before the eggs are done, toast the English muffins, heat up the bacon, and make the hollandaise.
5. Done

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

JCShutout wrote:My dad got me a bottle of Glenmorangie 12 year nectar d'or. That baby is smoooooth.
I could really cook with that.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

We did a short rib dish like that for a while and although it was delicious, it needed a serious disclaimer.

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Corky »

IMADreamer wrote:I got an incredible gift today. I seriously don't know how in the hell she knew I'd like it. So long story short, Sam Posey is my favorite race car driver of all time and I have always had a thing for his 1970 Challenger TA. So this morning wrapped up under the tree was this beauty. It's 1/18 scale, didn't even know it existed. I really don't collect cars but this thing is going to look awesome on my desk. Maybe the coolest Christmas gift I've ever gotten.

Beautiful car, congrats! Now that is something I could really appreciate too.

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Corky »

I collect, I got these two Christmas Eve, I am soon out of room,