movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: movies

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I enjoyed Mandy last night. It felt like what I wanted from the endless list of 80s action-revenge movies that I subject myself to. Fantastic.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Vice was fun and scary.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Michael wrote:IMO streaming services like netflix are the last hope for non-blockbuster movies.

Speaking of which, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on netflix is mostly awesome.
Absolutely, there are a lot of good movies that are free with Netflix and Prime. There are also a lot available for $3-6 on those services.

But DO NOT see "Roma" on Netflix. We saw it in 70mm over the weekend and it was ravishing. Some of the shots have 40, 50, 100, 200 extras. Cuaron fills the screen really well in this movie and it's the kind of movie that's like "yeah, no, you can't always recreate the movie theater experience in your house."

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Netflix/rewatch of "Hell or High Water" - that movie is great.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I started watching Fyre Fraud on hulu. Well put together. Fascinating story: Silicon Valley [expletive], the power of girls posting duck face selfies, FOMO, all that stuff. It's basically what would happen if Kim Kardashian had tried to launch herself into the stratosphere by throwing a music festival instead of banging an unnotable singer. Get to see the organizer a bit of [expletive] in the interview as well as the narrative.

However, when I looked to see who had put it together and who some of the talking heads were, I saw that Netflix is also releasing a Fyre Festival movie this week.

I'm not sorry I watched it, but I wish I would have waited to learn which one is better. Won't be surprised to learn it's the Hulu one, but who knows. Can't imagine I really need to watch two of them.

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Corky »

Saving Private Ryan was on TNT again last night. About the third time I watched it, but really never get tired of it.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Freed Roger wrote:Netflix/rewatch of "Hell or High Water" - that movie is great.
Just saw it for the first time. Ben Foster is underappreciated.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Word is “Glass” is crap. I won’t let this ruin Unbreakable which I watched recently. It holds up really well.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

ghostrunner wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Netflix/rewatch of "Hell or High Water" - that movie is great.
everything that Taylor Sheridan writes, I'm a big fan of...

Sicario, Sicario 2, Hell or High Water, Wind River, and the TV show Yellowstone on the paramount network

and yes, Ben Foster is awesome...his 2 newest ones I recently saw, he's fantastic in as well; Galveston and Leave No Trace (leave no trace is on amazon prime)

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

cardsfantx wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
everything that Taylor Sheridan writes, I'm a big fan of...

Sicario, Sicario 2, Hell or High Water, Wind River, and the TV show Yellowstone on the paramount network

and yes, Ben Foster is awesome...his 2 newest ones I recently saw, he's fantastic in as well; Galveston and Leave No Trace (leave no trace is on amazon prime)
It must be bad luck that Ben Foster hasn't popped a bit more. I've been fascinated by him since he brought an insane, wild but very effective energy to Alpha Dogs (one of those 'shouldn't work but does' performances). He may not be the right kind of guy to be a traditional lead, but he should have played a Marvel villain by now. He has range, too--he played Lance Armstrong well.

He should be some Scorcese's DiCaprio, on an indie level at least. He's always the most interesting part of a movie.