Rant: Winter 2016/2017

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Rant: Winter 2016/2017

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

We're getting a lot of snow in the mountains in southern Oregon too. Which means a green spring. Which means ever more fires all summer long.

STAY AWAY!

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:We're getting a lot of snow in the mountains in southern Oregon too. Which means a green spring. Which means ever more fires all summer long.

STAY AWAY!
Get your rake out

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Freed Roger wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:We're getting a lot of snow in the mountains in southern Oregon too. Which means a green spring. Which means ever more fires all summer long.

STAY AWAY!
Get your rake out
Rakes are for firemen.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Summary of this winter:

No snow, no snow, no snow. Brown Christmas. Brown for most of January.
Lakes freeze super smooth, so you can ice skate everywhere.
Almost set a record for latest day recording a below-zero temp.
Finally some decent snow.
Immediately followed by cold AF. Schools cancelled for 3 days. Near record cold, highs like -10F
Then it warms up to 40 degrees. most of the snow melts. I go skiing to take advantage of natural snow before it all melts and promptly dislocate my thumb, ending my ski season to try to avoid surgery.
More snow, more snow, more snow I think today we will set a record for snowiest February with more on the way this weekend. (And I can't go skiing. Hrmph.)
I'm ready for spring.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Ahhh just put some tape on it and get back out thee. Seriously though that sounds not good

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Gashouse wrote:Summary of this winter:

No snow, no snow, no snow. Brown Christmas. Brown for most of January.
Lakes freeze super smooth, so you can ice skate everywhere.
Almost set a record for latest day recording a below-zero temp.
Finally some decent snow.
Immediately followed by cold AF. Schools cancelled for 3 days. Near record cold, highs like -10F
Then it warms up to 40 degrees. most of the snow melts. I go skiing to take advantage of natural snow before it all melts and promptly dislocate my thumb, ending my ski season to try to avoid surgery.
More snow, more snow, more snow I think today we will set a record for snowiest February with more on the way this weekend. (And I can't go skiing. Hrmph.)
I'm ready for spring.
Yeah, it has been one snowy month so far - and another foot-ish projected for Saturday.

The wife and I have really gotten into snowshoeing. A couple weeks ago we went out with some friends to the Trails by Candlelight luminary event at the Lebanon Hills regional park down by our house (right next to the Minnesota Zoo). It was such a fun experience snowshoeing through miles of trails in the dark with thousands of luminaries along the lake shores and on the trails. Lots of campfire and hot chocolate stations throughout where you could warm up if necessary.

It reminds me of the Luminary Loppet festival that we volunteered at our first winter in Minnesota. Although that festival used luminaries made from frozen 5 gallon buckets of water that had been hollowed out, had a full stage on the frozen lake with live music, and had a large beer garden out on the water.

When we first saw what was going on, we were like, "Oh. So this is what Minnesotans do in the winter. They hang outside when it is 10 below and drink and party. Sweet."

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

We did the luminary loppet this year and it was fun. I need to explore Leb Hills in the winter more. it's my favorite place to mtn bike in the summer. I did some snowshoeing in Duluth this past weekend while the rest of the family was XC skiing. I think it will have to be the way I get outside to get some exercise for the rest of winter (and avoid the winter blues) if I need to avoid another fall while skiing.

And, yes, I have to give Minnesota a lot of credit for embracing winter. There are fun things to do outside in the winter.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

For some reason gutters are not common up here. Which has resulted in a ring of ice around our house as roof snow melts and the re-freezes. I've gone down a few times but no broken bones yet.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Minnesota sounds awesome.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Gashouse wrote:promptly dislocate my thumb
That sounds disgustingly painful.

I dislocated my toe the summer of 2017 and that was the worst pain I've ever been in until it finally got popped back in and I was terrified of doing anything more strenuous than simply walking for about three months because I was worried that I'd slip or my foot would land wrong and it would pop back out again. It ruined the rest of my softball season and even my boating season because I didn't feel comfortable climbing in and out of the boat while it was on the trailer to get it ready for the water and button things up after pulling it out. The boat thing sounds a little crazy but that's how I dislocated it in the first place, hopping out of a friend's boat after helping him get the boat back on the trailer.