What's your Harper Hunch?

Discuss what's happening in the day-to-day baseball world.
User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 27292
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by Popeye_Card »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I see what you're saying, I just think it's a little insincere to go "yeah the past few months all came down to one upping Stanton's deal" when yes, he wanted the biggest deal in history given his FA entry age, skill, etc. Keyword is "all"
I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at. His desire to beat Stanton's deal was not the only reason he got 13/330. Obviously that's because one team valued him at that contract.

It appears the reason why this drug out for four months is because Harper/Boras were apparently focused on beating Stanton's deal. There were likely plenty of alternatively attractive offers along the way, and he probably could have signed months ago. It appears he held out over something petty, which to me is silly but whatever. I think I'd prefer to sign the player willing to bet on himself with the short term / high AAV.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25007
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by wart57 »

JCShutout wrote:
wart57 wrote:The World will have ended before this contract does, so it was a good signing by the Phillies.
I heard that David Tennant will save the world with time travel in year 8 of this contract, with a side effect that the economy and value of the dollar will suddenly-and-will-have-always-been the same as in 1920. Hw won't be able to change the contract though, citing it as a fixed point in time and saying that he was, "so, so sorry." So, rough deal for Phi.
Damn that timey wimey [expletive]!

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master
Posts: 24603
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by CardsofSTL »

From The Athletic
The Giants’ offer of $310 million over 12 years — as first reported by the team’s rights-holder, the Bay Area Sports Group — featured a slightly higher AAV than the Phillies’ deal but was compromised by California’s high state taxes. The offer also was below the previous record, the $325 million Giancarlo Stanton received more than four years ago without the benefit of free agency.

The Dodgers offered Harper another option – a three-year deal with opt-outs and an AAV above Zack Greinke’s record $34.4 million but well below $40 million, according to sources. Harper could have stayed closer to his home in Las Vegas by joining the defending two-time National League champions – a team with much more recent success than the Phillies – and become a free agent entering his age 29 season. But to gain the increased flexibility, he would have walked away from nearly $200 million in guaranteed money – a tradeoff that was not worth the risk, especially when he had produced only one full monster season and was young enough to warrant a longer deal.

So, $330 million was the magic number. The average fan probably sees no further than that total. The average Phillies fan likely is salivating, knowing Harper’s relatively low AAV will give the team greater room under the luxury-tax threshold and enable it to pursue other expensive players in the future — most notably Mike Trout if he becomes a free agent after the 2020 season.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3814
Joined: June 15 06, 9:11 am
Location: Reading The Boat Rocker by Terence Mann

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Image

Whoop dee do. What does it all mean, Basil?

User avatar
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 57098
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by Jocephus »

Donnie Ebert wrote:Image

Whoop dee do. What does it all mean, Basil?
i think this quote/delivery so much in my life

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"
Posts: 24823
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

haltz wrote:If your argument is reduced to pedantic literalism maybe you should just say that Jag was right on the money.
This board was made to parse words.

MinorLeagueGuy
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14633
Joined: September 8 10, 2:57 pm

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Classy move not taking Roy's number.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 44913
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by Radbird »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
haltz wrote:If your argument is reduced to pedantic literalism maybe you should just say that Jag was right on the money.
This board was made to parse words.
I just hate it when words are used that require googling.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25007
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by wart57 »

Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
haltz wrote:If your argument is reduced to pedantic literalism maybe you should just say that Jag was right on the money.
This board was made to parse words.
I just hate it when words are used that require googling.
It's a travashammockery!

User avatar
Cronos
The Prodigal Son Returns
Posts: 34796
Joined: June 30 06, 7:49 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: What's your Harper Hunch?

Post by Cronos »

wart57 wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
haltz wrote:If your argument is reduced to pedantic literalism maybe you should just say that Jag was right on the money.
This board was made to parse words.
I just hate it when words are used that require googling.
It's a travashammockery!
BARGLE-FLICKLE!!

Post Reply