The Tyler O'Neill Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: The Tyler O'Neill Thread

Post by GeddyWrox »

Man, I guess it's a good problem to have, but do you start Ozuna and O'Neill almost every day and just rotate in the hot bat between Bader, Martinez and Fowler? I feel bad for all those guys. JMart especially, because he's going to be a glorified pinch hitter, apparently.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

GeddyWrox wrote:Man, I guess it's a good problem to have, but do you start Ozuna and O'Neill almost every day and just rotate in the hot bat between Bader, Martinez and Fowler? I feel bad for all those guys. JMart especially, because he's going to be a glorified pinch hitter, apparently.
Well, he half deserves it with being so bad in the field.

I go with Ozuna O'Neill JMart vs righties and Ozuna Bader O'Neill vs. lefties. Call it a day. Dex is the rotating/5th OF.

"Hot hand" is a Matheny thing that I hope we abandon completely.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I agree that the hot hand approach needs to go away but with those five guys... I think Ozuna and O'Neill need to be in there every day and the other three are a bit tougher of a decision for me if I had to make it. I'm glad that I don't have to make it really. I just hope that one of the three takes the job and runs with it so that the team doesn't end up in the situation where you're picking between the lesser of three evils out there because all three are killing you in one facet of the game.

Obviously the downside to Martinez is the glove. I love the bat but does it make up for the defense that you lose by playing him over a guy like Bader? Martinez would be third on my list of who gets the first shot.

Then with Bader, I love the defense and speed but I'm not sold on the bat being consistent enough yet. However I'd also be somewhat inclined to give the youngest of the three the most opportunity to take the job and make it his own right out of the gate.

With Fowler, I am probably more sentimental than anybody else on here with regards to him. I have always been a fan of the guy even when he wasn't a Cardinal and dang it, I just want him to be in the lineup and producing at a decent level because that would make me happy. If taking the approach where you give one guy the job to start the season and see if he excels, I would probably have to go with Fowler up first just because of my sentimentality, his experience, past production and hope for a return to form however unlikely it is that he can put up a career season at this point.

You can't run a team based on sentiment and that's why I'm not running the team. No matter who Shildt goes with at the start of the season, I won't complain because right now it looks to be a tough decision on who to go with everyday as the third starter in the outfield.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Mentioned before, but with Gold Glove Goldy at first Martinez would see fewer chances in RF. I don't know if it would be enough to make a difference.

bluesman1111
Fringe Major League Player

Post by bluesman1111 »

I hope O'Neil has a great career, but I don't care to much about spring training, the reasons are, is he facing a guy that is working on pitch, is he facing guy who's not ready, is facing a vet who doesn't care about results in ST, is facing a guy that won't make a MLB roster this year or maybe never, the point is everything we're seeing now isn't real baseball.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

bluesman1111 wrote:I hope O'Neil has a great career, but I don't care to much about spring training, the reasons are, is he facing a guy that is working on pitch, is he facing guy who's not ready, is facing a vet who doesn't care about results in ST, is facing a guy that won't make a MLB roster this year or maybe never, the point is everything we're seeing now isn't real baseball.
But that won't stop anybody on here from freaking out about the results (or lack there of) from the Cardinal pitching staff during spring training!!!

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

bluesman1111 wrote:I hope O'Neil has a great career, but I don't care to much about spring training, the reasons are, is he facing a guy that is working on pitch, is he facing guy who's not ready, is facing a vet who doesn't care about results in ST, is facing a guy that won't make a MLB roster this year or maybe never, the point is everything we're seeing now isn't real baseball.

He's facing the same guys as everyone else on the team.......... and achieving superior results.

I don't think spring training is the tell-all, but I don't think it's irrelevant either.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

O'Neill is working on things too: clobbering the hell out of the ball.

bluesman1111
Fringe Major League Player

Post by bluesman1111 »

Socnorb11 wrote:

He's facing the same guys as everyone else on the team.......... and achieving superior results.

I don't think spring training is the tell-all, but I don't think it's irrelevant either.
Sorry you don't understand, but great results or lack of, really don't mean anything this time of year, IMO and many others that have watched this game for a long time. I hope he's awesome but I'm not a believer yet.

I will admit the few clips I've seen this year, his swing does look shorter an quick to the ball, just need to see it against pitching that is trying to win games, when the games really count.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I remember hearing TLR on the radio years, maybe even decades, ago talking about spring training results. He basically said, yeah, at the beginning nothing really matters. But, once you get within two weeks and definitely one week of opening day, players should be as good as they're going to get.