rant: fine dining

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by Freed Roger »

ghostrunner wrote:Me and the family are in St. Louis the next few days. Staying around Central west end and going between there and downtown.

Any recommendations on local, cheap, casual dining? We’re not going to be dressed up. Finally hitting the City Museum, also the zoo, botanical gardens, Arch and Cardinals hall of fame.
Mission Taco, Pi pizzaria. there is a Shake Shack, but I dunno, you better off going to Crowne Candy kitchen not far from Citymuseum. Your are Not far from Delmar loop which has a lot of choices- lol, including another Mission Taco and Pi. Blueberry Hill is classic with a lot of memorabilia, pinball etc. I like Three Kings quite a bit. Fitzs is family favorite.

Union Loafers is pretty good, not far from Botanical Gardens.

Dogtown is neighborhood across from zoo, not far from Central West end. Seamus McDaniels. Anthoninas.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

The BBQ scene is great here now. Salt + Smoke. Pappys (a Jason Motte favorite). Can't remember if you like beer, but some good food being served relatively cheap at Rockwell to name one. i see kids there. Really like Grace Meat + Three, not fancy but good food.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Thanks for the recommendations

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

ghostrunner wrote:Thanks for the recommendations
Am going to bump up Grace meat +three. you order at a counter line. casual AF. food is great. You get to see part of STL that was once defunct but now rejuvanated. and if you dont like the looks of it or overcrowded, there are other options nearby

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Freed Roger wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Thanks for the recommendations
Am going to bump up Grace meat +three. you order at a counter line. casual AF. food is great. You get to see part of STL that was once defunct but now rejuvanated. and if you dont like the looks of it or overcrowded, there are other options nearby
Plus, Rick is a great guy. So, incredibly tasty local food plus good peeps running the place.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

We’re on Gibson, a few blocks away! Will probably hit it. Thanks, gents.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm also a fan of Sauce on the Side just across the street from Grace Meat + Three. They casual, cheap ($13 gets you a calzone that will easily fill you up and a soda) and the calzones are darn good.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Never been to Grammophone- how is it?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

ghostrunner wrote:We’re on Gibson, a few blocks away! Will probably hit it. Thanks, gents.
The Boathouse in Forest Park has improved food wise-it is such an iconic location -thus it has history of struggling with handling the crowd on a nice day.

If you just want to chill without tourism activities, I definitely recommend milling around in Forest Park, particularly the Grand Basin area, Art Hill and the walking paths just off to the east (There should be plenty of parking) Great place to take a sandwich or pizza and just hang out fly a kite etc for a while. Tower Grove Park and Lafayette Park are beautiful old parks for this too.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Freed Roger wrote:Never been to Grammophone- how is it?
I see it all of the time but I've never been there either. I'll have to check it out soon so I have an opinion on the place. I get to that corner and always end up at either Sauce on the Side or Grace. I've always just thought of Gramophone as a music venue. I just looked at their menu and some pictures online and the sandwiches look really good.