What are your preferred web-based news sources?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

What are your preferred web-based news sources?

Post by GeddyWrox »

I used to go to STL Today several times a day to check in on local news and sports. Lately I've been doing it "incognito" because they have been trying to block my company's ad blocker. Now they have figured that trick out and I can't do it anymore.

I might break down and pay for a subscription. I don't know. How do you stay up to date on your local news?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: What are your preferred web-based news sources?

Post by lukethedrifter »

I pay for an online subscription to the Post. Wanted to go print as well but damn it’s pricey. I have lots of issues with the publisher but it’s incredibly important to support local journalism. And they have some damn good journos working there.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I've long thought about paying for WaPo too (and NYT, but not quite as much lately with some of the questionable pieces they've run recently). But I tend to get my national news in lots of ways. NPR, google news front page, etc. It's staying up on the local stuff that I think I will miss more of as sites move towards forcing people to pay.

Does anyone actually pay for a local news service? Curious about the folks in other cities, too.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

my uncle terry on facebook

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I actually get most of my news from you guys here through the discussions and links you all post.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I just checked. An annual digital subscription to STL Today is $79. Yikes. I think I'd rather pay for The Athletic and WaPo, and just get my local news from KSDK.com + KMOV.com + news.stlpublicradio.org.

Tangentially, is The Athletic worth it??

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I listen to MN Public Radio and use their website. I'm a member, so I guess I pay for it.

Otherwise, there is a hard copy of the local newspaper in the lunch room at work, so I catch local news that way. I also use the newspaper's app, but I'm limited to 10 articles/month that I can actually click on since I don't pay for it.

Also, one way FB is helpful the local community pages share a lot of info. Sometimes it's annoying, but since I joined a couple of those groups, I know more about some of the day-to-day things in my immediate community that won't make it into a bigger news source. Often there are links to local news sources that I don't have time to peruse.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

$79/year is yikes to pay for local journalism?

I bet you pay a lot more per month for something a fair bit more frivolous.

/I’ve been wrong before

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I can't think of anything frivolous I pay that much for. We have family accounts for Spotify, Netflix and Amazon, but we use all of those a TON.

To be fair, I do think good journalism is worth paying for. I just don't read that much "journalism" on STL Today (Tony Messenger is good and he just won a Pulitzer I think, actually). I just like the combination of sports / local eats / some local politics without having to go to a bunch of different sites. Not sure it's worth $79. IDK.

This is kind of stupid, but maybe if they showed the price monthly or weekly instead of annual, it wouldn't feel so bad.