Mike Trout

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Mike Trout

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

How many bases did Ruth steal? How many people did he throw out at home?

Bonds is GOAT. Sorry.

Ruth may be the best beer drinking home run hitter in whiteboy only baseball though.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:How many bases did Ruth steal? How many people did he throw out at home?

Bonds is GOAT. Sorry.

Ruth may be the best beer drinking home run hitter in whiteboy only baseball though.
Nicely done!

IMO, Ruth was so many standard deviations off average on both sides, I think that means something no matter what era you are talking about. If the 20's were so stone age, how come others weren't doing what Ruth was doing?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

How many Sid Breams did Barry Bonds throw out at home?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Popeye_Card wrote:How many Sid Breams did Barry Bonds throw out at home?
I don't know. How many games did he win? Ever?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
I don't know. How many games did he win? Ever?
A [expletive] LOT. More than a lot of starting pitchers in his era who were credited for “wins” in 7-5 games that they walked a bunch of guys and gave up two jacks.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:How many bases did Ruth steal? How many people did he throw out at home?

Bonds is GOAT. Sorry.

Nicely done!

IMO, Ruth was so many standard deviations off average on both sides, I think that means something no matter what era you are talking about. If the 20's were so stone age, how come others weren't doing what Ruth was doing?
This is Stephen Jay Gould's argument, which has great validity, but he also stresses how much the game changed after Ruth played--including the influx of a great deal of talent from minority communities and internationally that raised the competitiveness of all of baseball. Ruth towered over his fellow players in so many ways, but the bell-curve tail of suckitude was also much longer in the 20's than today, as BAS is pointing out. Ruth was both a generational talent and one who got to take some of his whacks against some players who would never sniff the majors today.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

When WAR can correctly quantify IBB stat, Bonds’s will surpass Ruth by far.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:When WAR can correctly quantify IBB stat, Bonds’s will surpass Ruth by far.
care to elaborate?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
I don't know.
The correct answer is zero. His noodle arm couldn't throw out possibly the slowest runner in baseball with the NL pennant on the line.

My only point was that while Bonds was a good defensive LF (in his earlier years), his arm was infamously weak so I doubt it added much value to his career.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I just did a brief look into this but I think wOBA calculations only look at unintentional walks. IBBing the #3 batter Bonds with 1 out and first base open is probably worth more than IBBing the #8 batter with 2 outs to get to the pitcher. But when just looking at year-end stat totals, these two would IBB's count the same. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that is the gist of it. I bet some numbers geek is trying to figure this out though.