2019 NBA Playoffs Poll

A forum for non-baseball sports

Who is going to win the NBA Championship?

Warriors
41%
Rockets
6%
Bucks
18%
Raptors
12%
Nuggets
12%
Sixers
No votes
Other
12%

Total votes: 17

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs Poll

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Boogie plays a very passive game of chess. Easy when you start with 4 queens I guess.

Honestly, I blame the Blazers. The move is to make your nuts look super kickable/punchable. Maybe talk about how loose they're hanging when Draymond is in ear shot. He won't be able to resist himself. Then you get one when he's sitting.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Everybody from Jeff Van Gundy to Bill Simmons has dismissed talk that the Dubs are better without KD as crazy nonsense. The logic is that taking the best player in the game off the team clearly means they're worse. I'm really not so sure.

It's like when Sgt. Pepper comes out. You've got Help. You've got Rubber Soul. You've got Revolver. But then Sgt. Pepper comes and you play Sgt Pepper like 60% and you get a lot less out of the former three.

Maybe a bad analogy.

Dubs are 31-1 since KD arrived when KD misses the game but Curry plays. So that's really hard to get past. They were back and forth v the Rox and KD went down and then they kinda breezed through and closed them out. Some people were of the thought that Portland would take them without their best player, they swept Portland.

Usage is finite. There's only so much to go around. When the Dubs broke the W record Curry shot 20.2 FG/game, now he shoots less. The best distance shooter in history shoots less b/c KD is on the roster. Steph is Rubber Soul, sitting on the shelf collecting dust. All the times we've seen in the last week, the Vintage Draymond where he takes the ball off the rim on one end and races to the other, creating problems for the other team? Those are reduced because KD is on the floor getting some of those rebounds, and also calling for an outlet pass after a Draymond rebound. I always felt, oddly, like Curry was league MVP but Draymond was the team MVP because of the energy, the chaos, the ability to do so many things. Draymond is Revolver, sitting on the shelf collecting dust. In reality, because he's such a good rebounder, passer, ball-handler, and chaos-creator, Draymond is more like a high-end Mercedes idling in neutral while Durant's Maybach is doing donuts in the parking lot.

There are more of those possessions now where Klay and Curry run all over the court and the ball gets passed like 7, 8, 9, 10 times. There are more of those Draymond full-court sprints to the rim where the defenders don't realize he's coming because they're jogging back. There's more Curry--against the Clips he maxed out at 16 FGA, and against the Blazers he shot at least 22X/game. Last year in the Finals Curry took less than 20 shots in 3/5 of the games. Curry shooting more is good for the team. And a lot more fun for us as viewers.

Since it's a team game that's so dependent on interaction, I think having KD not on this team is a good thing both for the Warriors and for our entertainment value watching the Warriors.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I enjoyed watching the Warriors much more pre-Durant.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I agree with both 33 and Luke.

I am genuinely rooting for the Warriors to get this done now. Two weeks ago........ not at all.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Reasonable prices for Game 5 tomorrow night on StubHub, hitting the road from Chicago around 4 and heading up for it.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

33anda3rd wrote:Reasonable prices for Game 5 tomorrow night on StubHub, hitting the road from Chicago around 4 and heading up for it.

Who ya' got?

I still think Toronto can steal a game in Wisconsin, and win the series in 7. I suspect I'm in the minority.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Lots of my friends have adopted MIL since the Bulls are so awful, but I've got no dog in the fight. I'm just hoping for good playoff basketball. Wouldn't want to call it. Is Kawhi 60%? 30%? 90%? Will Milwaukee get anything out of that backcourt? Will Giannis be Game 2 Giannis who is hyper-aggressive and makes Toronto make mistakes on D--something only an elite talent like Giannis can do v TOR--or is he passive Giannis from Game 4? Which coach has their team better prepared? Coach Bud has been there before with those Millsap/Horford ATL teams, but you gotta take your hat off to Nurse for snapping them out of malaise after a Game 1 loss to ORL in the first round, then coaching them through a very tough 7-game series with Philly. I couldn't even begin to guess, but if I were a betting man with MIL at home and Kawhi being pretty banged up I'd probably take MIL.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Jocephus wrote:
Michael Jordan’s Chicago Bulls never did it. Neither did the Showtime Lakers of the 1980s or Shaq and Kobe’s Lakers of the 2000s. The only team ever to make five consecutive appearances in the NBA Finals was the Boston Celtics of the 1960s.

At least they were the only team. Now there is another one: the Golden State Warriors.
But the Miami/Cleveland LeBron James’ did. So did the Chicago Asterisk MJs.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Maybe if the Raptors make it far enough we'll finally find out if Drake has nice things or not.

Is modern mainstream rap his fault? This could be a big hit for someone, I need to go on that new Macklemore show:

Watch watch watch watch watch watch watch watch watch watch Vuitton.

Get DJ Khaled to day his name every 15 seconds and it's a hit.

Actually that might be too dynamic for whoever is hot right now.

WTF WRT Khaled, BTW. I saw him on SNL. He slightly changed the drums on the Ms Jackson beat and he's a superstar? Someone needs to be Sure Knight to his Diddy (but that's giving Khaled way too much credit).