June 6, 1944

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: June 6, 1944

Post by Jocephus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Jocephus wrote:russia gotta ruin everything
Not to be a debbie downer, but Russia's role in WWII is always glossed over and underappreciated. They paid the highest of prices and they, along with winter, exacted more German losses than can be appreciated. Not to diminish what D-Day did or how critical it was for truly turning the tide. It forced the axis' hand. Without it, had they been smart which is far from a guarantee, the Nazi's in particular could have regrouped and continued their own technological advancements (jet engines and nuclear energy in particular) that would have allowed them to wipe Russia off the face of the earth given enough time.

Both sides played key roles and they're idiots if they don't think the allied invasion helped and you can go as far as to say saved their asses. I've never really seen their strategy aside from hunker down, wait for winter, wait for the Nazis to die. Without the invasion the nazi's could have regrouped, taken the oil fields which they should have done in the first place, and outpace the allieds in almost all technological fields. But, it is true the nazis wasted countless lives trying unsuccessfully to take stalingrad. So, thank goodness they made that blunder and thank goodness the Russians stood strong.

ETA: None of this is meant to diminish just how critical DDay was and how heroic of an undertaking it was.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

The fact that Germany had to fight a front war helped both the US and Russia in that Germany was never really able to concentrate fully on either side of the war.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Watched The Longest Day for the first time. What a production.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

lukethedrifter wrote:Watched The Longest Day for the first time. What a production.
Did you pick up on the bolt action rifle movie error?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

CardsofSTL wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:Watched The Longest Day for the first time. What a production.
Not something I’m likely to know to pick up.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

lukethedrifter wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Not something I’m likely to know to pick up.

The error is that there were two shots. It is a great movie though.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Ah. Bolt action. Duh.

I was a bit confused by the scene where the Germans and Americans walked past each other across the stone wall. I think it was supposed to show that both sides had issues, could fail to be observant while preoccupied etc but not sure