The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:Ribs yesterday. Kept it simple but they came out great. 3-2-1 approach this time around because I wanted extra tender. Perfect. Too tender for competition (not that I would ever compete) but man are they tasty.

Needed a little rib redemption because my last rib smoke went terribly. They looked awesome in the package - a huge slap, but they never got tender. Did a 3-1-2 cook and they were tough. Covered and cooked for another hour.., still tough. Covered even longer... still tough. In the end, I had covered them and cooked at a low, low temp for so long that they should have fallen apart and they were still embarrassingly tough. Can only chalk it up to bad meat, as I have used that kind of technique - a 3-2-1 or modified - and never had any problems until that pack.
I had a dud rib smoke last week as well. The exact issue you had.

I look forward to my rib redemption on the 4th!
Good luck with the redemption!
‐---‐---‐------
Try a crock pot sometime. My sweet neighbor lady told me that trick and damn if works. Though fitting ribs in a pot kind of not as easy as a roast or a rump. But she would cut them up and do ribs too, finish on the grill.

The best part of the crocking hack ,especially for beef cuts- is you reserve damn near all the au jus (I am not as big a pork juice fan, beyond what is left in the meat) When I was finishing the beef roast on the grill (just a few minutes) my wife threw sauteed mushrooms and onions into the crock juice.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Freed Roger wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:Ribs yesterday. Kept it simple but they came out great. 3-2-1 approach this time around because I wanted extra tender. Perfect. Too tender for competition (not that I would ever compete) but man are they tasty.

Needed a little rib redemption because my last rib smoke went terribly. They looked awesome in the package - a huge slap, but they never got tender. Did a 3-1-2 cook and they were tough. Covered and cooked for another hour.., still tough. Covered even longer... still tough. In the end, I had covered them and cooked at a low, low temp for so long that they should have fallen apart and they were still embarrassingly tough. Can only chalk it up to bad meat, as I have used that kind of technique - a 3-2-1 or modified - and never had any problems until that pack.

‐---‐---‐------
Try a crock pot sometime. My sweet neighbor lady told me that trick and damn if works. Though fitting ribs in a pot kind of not as easy as a roast or a rump. But she would cut them up and do ribs too, finish on the grill.

The best part of the crocking hack ,especially for beef cuts- is you reserve damn near all the au jus (I am not as big a pork juice fan, beyond what is left in the meat) When I was finishing the beef roast on the grill (just a few minutes) my wife threw sauteed mushrooms and onions into the crock juice.
Crock pot?

You've got to be kidding, right? Should I just go ahead and put them in the microwave in a pan of liquid smoke?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:

‐---‐---‐------

Crock pot?

You've got to be kidding, right? Should I just go ahead and put them in the microwave in a pan of liquid smoke?
Feelings hurter. You won't be getting any of my crock drippings.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Lol. This the meat smoking thread. Crock pots are good for chili.

Freed Roger

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking and crock pot thread.

Post by Freed Roger »

Fixed the thread title for you all.

. Speaking of crock pots, I won 1st place -the Golden Spoon in a prestigious chili cook off (ahem, a fund raiser for my daughter's middle school, ..but at least 25 chilis and couple hundred voters damn it. So I know my crock pot. The key ingredient was smoked pork and jaleponos (from the smoker dam it. )

Also let he who hasn't used an electric smoker cast the first bone.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Oh, is the the crock pot thread? I made crock pot Chicago style Italian beef today. Pretty good.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:You've got to be kidding, right? Should I just go ahead and put them in the microwave in a pan of liquid smoke?
I laughed at this.

And I wondered if it would be possible to microwave ribs somehow and they come out edible. I am guessing no.

Freed Roger

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread and Crock Pottery

Post by Freed Roger »

Whoa Nellie, the leftovers from the crock-to-grill roast were deeelicious.
We didnt have much leftover because it was so damn good. However we stretched it out by putting the meat and plentiful gravy (thanks to the crock pot saving it all) with mushrooms over noodles.
Mmm MmM MmM mmmm MMM! (Said using Mike Shannon voiceover).

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Big time smoking day coming up. Picking up the brisket tomorrow. Wish we were going to the cabin but it got flooded :/ So we are just having some friends over for the weekend. What's everyone doing for the 4th?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:Oh, is the the crock pot thread? I made crock pot Chicago style Italian beef today. Pretty good.
I don't entirely trust I will like all the giardiniera ingredients. I.e. Fozzies.