"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Jk. Apparently they took the goal away

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Brazil France 1-1. Idk the rules but looked good to me.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Man the refs been busy in this one.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Kind of expected a replay on that injury. If that was NCAAF or nfl we’d have seen 15 angles of it.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Lol at the French goalie. This is precisely why people hate soccer. Stop faking injuries.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

23 for Brazil is a dirty player.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Soccer is not as easy a sport as others for regular sports media to cover for highlights & analysis, so we get a lot of the side dramas and individual profiles played up - ala the Olympics.

I sometimes feel like this takes away from the game itself, and the team aspect which is key.
Nevertheless, Megan Rapinoe is on FIIIIRREE!
Granted, she takes the PKs (but [expletive] nails them!), and she could play great and not have a goal etc etc. and oh my I may have put the whammy on her in single elimination tourney. the side story kicks arse - hopefully kicks England's bloody arse tomorrow

highlight quote
After her dominant game, a reporter asked her whether it being Pride month made her contribution more personally significant.
Her response?

“Go gays! You can’t win a championship without gays on your team - it’s never been done before, ever. That’s science, right there!"
This guy sums it up best - I think there a few swear words
[SHOW]
Omari Newton
June 29 at 7:04 PM
If you're a dude like me, you may have missed the most badass sports moment of the year. I'm going to amplifying this story, because it's too good not to share.

So, US women’s soccer star and team captain Megan Rapinoe was asked by a reporter if she would celebrate a world cup victory at the white house.

She, like an absolute BOSS, eloquently responded.

“I’m not going to the [expletive] White House.”
(The video of her response is even better. She scoffed first, appropriately disgusted by the mere suggestion she would meet with agent orange.)

By the way, Rapinoe was also the first high profile white or female athlete to take a knee during the national anthem in support of Colin Kaepernick and #BlackLivesMatter, because she's an intersectional boss, and not just a boss, but I digress.

K... So, after her white house comments, 45 and his minions were predictably pissed. Tweets were tweeted, vitriol was spewed her way, the yokels were clearly upset.

Rapinoe was then asked before her last game, a massive quarter final match against France, if she retracted her statements about boycotting the White House. She then proceeds to double down, because she's a gosh damn international treasure.

So now, the pressure is ON.

The French crowd is hostile. 45K plus people are booing her every time she touches the ball (because despite some great PR about love and baguettes, and the makeup of most of their national teams, France has a whoooole lot of bigoted, conservative, douche canoes in their country.)

In the Face of all this hatred and hostility, what does Megan Rapinoe do?

She scores not one, but TWO goals for the USA.

The ONLY two goals her team scores, leading them to a 2-1 victory. She also struck the instantly iconic pose above as a glorious F U to the hostile crowd upon scoring.

After her dominant game, a reporter asked her whether it being Pride month made her contribution more personally significant.

Her response?

“Go gays! You can’t win a championship without gays on your team - it’s never been done before, ever. That’s science, right there!"

“I’m motivated by people who like me, who are fighting for the same things. I take more energy from that than from trying to prove anyone wrong. That’s draining on yourself. But for me, to be gay and fabulous, during Pride month at the World Cup, is nice.”

So, there it is. That's the most badass sports story of the year that a lot of us dudes probably missed at first like I did. Please share it with your friends, especially fellow dudes, cause it's up there with anything Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, and Kobe Bryant, or Tiger Woods have done in a big game. Maybe even more badass.

We must protect Megan Rapinoe at ALL COSTS.

Happy pride friends.

#GoGays!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

IDK rather to be disappointed about the USMNT after last night's game or excited. Probably excited about the team, disappointed in the results would sum it up.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Lol at the French goalie. This is precisely why people hate soccer. Stop faking injuries.
Not going to pretend it's the only thing that stops me from getting into it, but man is that a big barrier to entry.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:IDK rather to be disappointed about the USMNT after last night's game or excited. Probably excited about the team, disappointed in the results would sum it up.
That’s my take. We played a Mexico team that is really quite good even for a half in a hostile environment before they out coached and out-playered us in the second half. We should have had one goal, but couldn’t finish, which is unacceptable.

I think we will only get better as Pulisic, McKennie and other young players continue to develop. I really liked what I saw from Long and Cannon. McKennie was great in stretches against inferior competition but was essentially taken out of the game by Mexico. That seemed to be their strategy, though, pressure Bradley and McKennie to death so that we can’t distribute. Ariola can be a useful role player, and he is probably better than other wing midfielders we have run out over the years - Bedoya and Zusi come to mind. We need to improve on Morris and Zardes, but we have young players who could easily push them. Sargent, Boyd, Weah. Steffen seems to be very good. Ream gets a lot of criticism, but is actually just fine in that quasi-left back, center back position, imo.

We should be able to field a competitive WC roster from this group and get through qualifying.