23%
Fire everyone and hire Jose DeLeon as GM
16%

Total votes: 44

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

2019 Second Half

Post by CardsofSTL »

You may pick two options. For some guidance in being an informed voter in this scientific poll; here is Cardinals beat writer Anne Rogers take:
Current status: Buyers

Right now, the Cardinals are a .500 team, and while that’s not a record they expected to be at, there is good news: They’re still in the race. Two games back of the Cubs and a 1/2 game back of the Brewers is not a bad place to be sitting in early July.

The Cubs and Brewers are likely to be buyers come the Trade Deadline, both hoping to separate the gap in the division. The Cardinals will have to make a significant move at the Deadline to contend this year instead of missing the playoffs for the fourth straight season.
A consistent starter and a bat will help this team win. That could come internally: Paul Goldschmidt and Matt Carpenter have yet to be the Goldschmidt and Carpenter the Cardinals want them to be. And Flaherty has shown flashes of being the starter the Cardinals need, but he isn’t as consistent as some had hoped.

It doesn’t make sense for the Cardinals to go find a productive bat at the Deadline because both Goldschmidt and Carpenter have historically produced well in the second half. If they get back to hitting like themselves, the offense could get going like it did in the beginning of the season. So the Cardinals are better off seeking a frontline starter to bring consistency to the rotation.
Michael Wacha will be interesting to watch these next few weeks. The right-hander has excelled in the past but is struggling this year on the cusp of free agency. How he performs in his starts leading up to July 31 will figure into if teams are inclined to go after him and open a spot in the Cardinals rotation.

No. 19 prospect Junior Fernandez has pitched his way through the Minor League system this year and recently made it to Memphis with a 1.48 ERA in 48 2/3 innings this season. Alvaro Seijas is a little further away from the big leagues but has done well lately, too. Rival front offices will ask about outfielder Randy Arozarena, but with a .349/.434/.538 slash line this year in Springfield and Memphis, Cardinals will more likely want to keep him.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2019 Second Half

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

It's hopeless.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The historical precedent for a team like the Cardinals making a run is... not great
https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/7/10/ ... -not-great

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Been around long enough to see this song and dance before. Everyone in the organization including the press circle the wagons and pretend everything is fine when it clearly is dog [expletive].
The two years that were the most disgusting display of this were 2006 and 2011.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Been around long enough to see this song and dance before. Everyone in the organization including the press circle the wagons and pretend everything is fine when it clearly is dog [expletive].
The two years that were the most disgusting display of this were 2006 and 2011.
I spy with my little eye what you did there.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Trade Ozuna and add pitching.

Ponce needs to be in the rotation. Wacha should be in the bullpen.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I wouldn't expect much at the deadline. They have the prospect currency to net a wheeler or bumgarner, but it would be foolish to send any top prospects for rentals.

Perhaps they could make a move for a Thor or Bauer, but neither of those arms are really blowin my skirt up.

Offense? i guess you just hope goldy turns it around. Marp is toast imo.

My preference? Sell sell sell.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I'd sell, as well; hoping for Marcel to get healthy enough to trade. It's nice to have this time off, and I hope there truly is something to a much needed 'decompress'. But it's not going to take long for the pressure to mount again, and guys to become impatient with the process.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Pray to god DeWitt finally sees that Mo is awful.

Pray to god that DeWitt realizes he has lots and lots of money to easily lift us from this awfulness in the offseason by signing Cole and extending Ozuna.

Cardinals_Spaceship
Everyday Player

Post by Cardinals_Spaceship »

Personally, I think they should sell. It’s doubtful they will, but that’s what I would advocate. I have to disagree with Anne Rogers, to an extent. Sure, Carpenter and Goldschmidt could very possibly get it going but can’t automatically assume that will happen.

To say “it doesn’t make sense” to acquire a bat at the deadline is comically wrong. The offense could use some upgrades, to be sure. Now, I do agree with her that going after an impact starting pitcher should be the priority. If they acquire one and a few guys start hitting, the Cardinals could make a real push. If the Cardinals miss the playoffs for a fourth straight season ... it should be time to make some tough decisions.