Dogs

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Dogs

Post by heyzeus »

CardsofSTL wrote:Yesterday was this guy's 4th Birthday. If you are sending gifts...he likes sweet potato duck treats.
True story: Last week my neighbor gave me a bag of those treats for my beagle. His dad had bought several bags of them to take on a business trip to China. He planned to give them as a gift to his business partners. But at the last minute, as he was packing for the trip, someone pointed out to him that they were dog treats. He bought them thinking that they were gourmet (human) snacks. And thus, a minor international crisis was averted.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:Yesterday was this guy's 4th Birthday. If you are sending gifts...he likes sweet potato duck treats.
True story: Last week my neighbor gave me a bag of those treats for my beagle. His dad had bought several bags of them to take on a business trip to China. He planned to give them as a gift to his business partners. But at the last minute, as he was packing for the trip, someone pointed out to him that they were dog treats. He bought them thinking that they were gourmet (human) snacks. And thus, a minor international crisis was averted.
That would have been a pretty big screw up... Send them to me. That hungry pup is going to eat me into the poorhouse.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Welp--got talked into getting a new puppy.

It's been a hot minutes since i've trained a dog.

With my current dog, he picked up both things fairly quickly, so i'm not necessarily worried about it being an issue.

But the main issue right now with the crate training is that this puppy CANNOT stand being crated. She whines and whines and whines. And i know you're not supposed to give and let her out, but the thing is, i live in a loft-style condo made out of wood and concrete, so her whining carries.

I've already let my neighbors know as a courtesy and they seem to be cool about it, but make no mistake even the most unflappable individual has their limits.

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with this? I've gave serious consideration to sound proofing the crate. Would that be a wild idea?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

As a lifelong member or leader of dog pack(s) I know the problem pups have with crates.

They hate crates.

Yeah, I know...
oh it is like their wolf den
it makes them feel secure....
And stuff people will say.

Give it a bed somewhere(preferably not yours....ok or yours. hell why not-make it a real den!).

Cordon off a room, that works better IMO.

And obviously you can never give a dog enough walks. It is their hunt fix. Then they are excited to get back to the house and eat some chow like they actually killed something on the hunt. And then just find somewhere to sleep it off.

And martial law leash training and muzzles -I am pretty sure dogs don't like that either.

Big Galoot was 90lbs+ and heel-trained when we got him at age 3. Once I stopped reinforcing it, he said ef that on walks. He was fine -just gave him a chance to sniff and check out what interested him when it was clear.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Counterpoint: Wife’s dog still goes to the crate when he needs alone time.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Freed Roger wrote:As a lifelong member or leader of dog pack(s) I know the problem pups have with crates.

They hate crates.

Yeah, I know...
oh it is like their wolf den
it makes them feel secure....
And stuff people will say.

Give it a bed somewhere(preferably not yours....ok or yours. hell why not-make it a real den!).

Cordon off a room, that works better IMO.

And obviously you can never give a dog enough walks. It is their hunt fix. Then they are excited to get back to the house and eat some chow like they actually killed something on the hunt. And then just find somewhere to sleep it off.

And martial law leash training and muzzles -I am pretty sure dogs don't like that either.

Big Galoot was 90lbs+ and heel-trained when we got him at age 3. Once I stopped reinforcing it, he said ef that on walks. He was fine -just gave him a chance to sniff and check out what interested him when it was clear.
I don't care for crate training either. I usually did part of a room as well (something without carpet...)

I think a mushy crockpot rib might be good reinforcement for good behavior too.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Lol. Or steak dildoed in water for my pack. Only the best.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Freed Roger wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Lol. Or steak dildoed in water for my pack. Only the best.
LOL! I am sitting at my desk laughing!

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Crazy...Every dog I’ve ever owned (a lot); loves their crate...it’s their home/place to get away from us crazy humans...I’ve never had one whine one time when placed in a crate from the day we got them/from then on.

Granted we love huge mountain dog types, so they seem to like being left alone anyways...never had the desire for a lab/golden retriever/hyper family dog type. We have a pool; ain’t letting a dog near that/those types you can’t keep out of it.

Side rant; people who have lab/golden retriever types. You want them to swim in your pool? Awesome, it’s yours/go crazy...don’t get offended when me/my family won’t swim in it though.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Dogs are smart enough to size up choices -they see option B is whatever [a scolding, whoopin, or hanging out for undisclosed times in the Texas heat] they will take to the cage option all day long.

Before we adopted the Big Galoot, he was spending a lot of time tiedup in a hot barn while their house was being worked on. When we adopted him - and let him stay inside with AC. he hardly budged from his dog bed. ...when he figured out he could roam the house and not be booted out all day or get his ass chewed - he barely used the dog bed until he got real old.

And I can't tell you how often we turned down offers to have Big Galoot come swim in peoples' pools. They wanted him to demo for their sissy dogs how to enjoy the water.

..ok, I embellished that last part. It was ponds, and river.