Garbage on Facebook

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Garbage on Facebook

Post by sighyoung »

I will say that I was using Facebook this evening to help a Korean scholar/translator translate a passage from a novel written by an African American writer into Korean. The passage included the word "edjumacation" and used quilting as a metaphor, so there's been a long, back-and-forth discussion of how "edjumacation" is used for humor or self-deprecation, the meaning and signification of quilting in the South and African American culture, etc. And another scholar joined in, and I was able to instantly translate from Korean into English.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I decided this week as likely step 1 toward deleting my facebook account altogether, to cull my friends list. I got rid of everyone with whom I had no contact for a couple years and I was really liberal in that. If someone had wished me a happy birthday on Facebook, I considered it contact and kept them, if they'd replied to a tweet I tweeted I kept them. If they were in any way part of my life I kept them. But people I did improv shows with a dozen years ago I unfriended. People in the restaurant/bar industry with whom I had like 300 mutual friends who added me as a friend as a networking device I unfriended--there were probably 200 of those. People I knew 20 years ago and haven't seen in 20 years but somewhere along the line it was like "oh yeah, I know them, I'll add them on Facebook so I can see what they do in life without ever so much as saying hello" I got rid of. Everyone from high school who I have not seen in 27 years and who I was connected to on Facebook but literally never so much as said hello back and forth with, out. I got rid of over 800 people on Facebook. None of them bad people, none of them I have any animosity towards, nothing like that. It was about Facebook, not them. I like IG better, it's just pictures, y'know?

So then today I scrolled through Facebook for the first time since I culled my friends list. And I started seeing posts from people who I don't remember seeing a post from in a looooong time, because I kept seeing political rants from people who post a lot of political rants and a lot of promotional stuff from people who self-promote, and the algorithm was giving me that instead of stuff posted by the people I actually am friends with. I now see kids and vacations and weddings and pregnant people and a very sad notification that a dog has died at age 5 and it actually felt like a completely different experience because the only people in it are the people actually in my life so every post I see I care about. Before it was like "oh, there's that woman I met once 6 years ago when she was a rep for Death's Door gin, she's on a ski trip" and "cool, that guy I did improv shows with in 2009-2012 who I haven't seen since 2012 said something witty about living in LA" and I realize now it was kind of stalker-y. Even though I wasn't trying to stalk people online, my Facebook experience was largely looking in on the lives with people who I passed in life but do not know/no longer know.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I should probably do what you just did, Middle. It really does feel like I get 15 posts a day from the same mix of people I tangentially knew in middle school and, like, friend's spouses who I felt obligated to accept friend requests from. But weirdly, Facebook doesn't give you posts from other people, just these randos. I need to prune the tree.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Zuckerberg Thiel secret WH meeting with Trump

Looking for networking alternatives with my dispersed friends with shared interests (I really am not on FB for family)

I guess I rationalize that the 2016 stuff, which largely occurred before I was on FB, has moved from FB to news filters or with GOP rule, they just openly do what US and Russian oligarchs wish.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i think this is an apt analysis

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Jocephus wrote:i think this is an apt analysis
When I click on tweets here, I have trouble finding the thing referenced -all the comments and superseding tweets take over.
I did learn this instead why Pete Is the Facebook Candidate

Pete and Zuckerberg-pals from college? Not a dealbreaker on it's own, but does raise my concern.

Re Facebook 2020. Not to minimize the concern over FB, but seems like some of the influence propaganda lies problem have moved on from FB.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »