Dallas to Atlanta

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: Dallas to Atlanta

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Now 3.3 WAR pitchers are mediocre? For 12 measly million dollars? Come on DMarx.

Love our stable of 0.2 WAR pitchers. They've been great!

And Holland was a move Mo made and should be ridiculed for if it has effects on future signings.
I thought we were talking about Keuchel.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Popeye_Card wrote:We didn't need a Keuchel at the deadline though. We needed an ace type pitcher. We would have still needed an ace type pitcher had we signed Keuchel. And we still wouldn't have had the available assets to get a deal done.

We could have eeked into the playoffs though and had a chance, which is fine. And it is only money, which is fine. We keep throwing away real dollars at the wrong problems though.
So we shouldn't use available resources that won't affect next year's club to improve the team unless it's a significant upgrade?

Signing Keuchel wouldn't have prevented any trade or FA acquisition for next year, it wouldn't have cost any prospects or future value. It would have marginally improved the team.

I agree they need a top of the rotation starter but what I'm saying is going back for years when the team was a marginal upgrade at reliever, or second base or in the fifth spot that would go from "probably win 90 games" to "definitely win 90 games" they didn't do it. Sure, Keuchel doesn't make this years team a 90 win team but he improves it and does nothing to prevent the team from improving in 2020 so why not? Because it doesn't solve EVERY problem?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

If we gave Dallas the prorated salary he got, it would kept the FO from doing this stupid dance they've been doing with Wacha...

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

But Keuchel represents a different dance we keep doing. Sign an available free agent veteran to a short term deal because he represents a marginal upgrade (or insurance) vs. what we have. Oh look, the veteran performed like we should have expected a guy over 30 to perform, and didn’t get us over the hump. We should have signed this additional marginal upgrade to get us over the hump.

We keep cluttering up the roster with these marginal moves. Then we are releasing guys or shipping people out to make room, and while it may only be money, we keep wasting real dollars that prevents the owners from being comfortable signing a Machado, or Harper, or Scherzer, etc.

I was indifferent to him signing with us or not. I still don’t feel like we missed a huge opportunity. He doesn’t cure what truly ails us. In my opinion, he more represents what we do wrong.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote: I thought we were talking about Keuchel.
We are. He had 3.3 WAR last year.

Preseason projection was 3.1 WAR. Assuming he had the proper warm up. Only needed him for one year.

And if we signed him to a multi year deal, he could have been the effective LOOGY if he bombed as a starter and we wouldn't have had to bother with Andrew Miller.

Basically could have had Keuchel over Miller and for cheaper or same price. Draft pick associated is just ownerspeak for not paying the piper. Make that up later with an international signing or two.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote: I thought we were talking about Keuchel.
We are. He had 3.3 WAR last year.

Preseason projection was 3.1 WAR. Assuming he had the proper warm up. Only needed him for one year.

And if we signed him to a multi year deal, he could have been the effective LOOGY if he bombed as a starter and we wouldn't have had to bother with Andrew Miller.

Basically could have had Keuchel over Miller and for cheaper or same price. Draft pick associated is just ownerspeak for not paying the piper. Make that up later with an international signing or two.
But...I'm 100% positive you were in favor of signing Andrew Miller, before we even signed him.

And I'm 100% positive that Keuchel wasn't going to sign a 1 year deal prior to ST. Which of course is why he didn't.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

and assuming he'd be an effective loogy if he bombed out as a starter seems convenient fan GM'ing.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I did like and do like Miller. Wasn't my point in that post. I just like Keuchel more. It's about maximizing value. $ per WAR.
Jocephus wrote:and assuming he'd be an effective loogy if he bombed out as a starter seems convenient fan GM'ing.
How ya figure? .286 lifetime wOBA against lefties.

Better than looking for every Tom, Dick, and Aldaberto on the waiver wire.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I did like and do like Miller. Wasn't my point in that post. I just like Keuchel more. It's about maximizing value. $ per WAR.
Jocephus wrote:and assuming he'd be an effective loogy if he bombed out as a starter seems convenient fan GM'ing.
How ya figure? .286 lifetime wOBA against lefties.
1st off i knew you wouldn't be able to control yourself hah

to answer your question...on that list of players who didn't perform to expectations, who should i start with?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

You're saying I'm wrong to assume Keuchel can't be, at minimum, as effective as Randy Choate?