Reorganizing GRB content

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Reorganizing GRB content

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

stlouie_lipp wrote:I like the idea of more threads instead of the "mega" threads. It seems like people try to find a big thread to post something in rather than start a new thread. I think that stifles conversation.
Whether you're fixing a Yamaha Zuma, or shopping for a guitar pedal, I have found that asking a question that has already been asked on an internet forum is a remarkably and surprisingly effective way to draw heavy, heated, hateful scorn. It's incredible. I blame the Internet for the fear of starting a thread. It might be hard to make it clear that no one is going to question your literacy or general worth as a human if you make a post that covers previous grounds. The culture here has always been good about that.

I sold that Zuma though.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I love the idea of the Hall of Fame and I hope there is a Jocephus Award For Lifetime Achievement In Late Night Comedy Clips Posted In A Timely Fashion To A Random Conversation.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:I think a subforum for GDTs makes sense, but I'd be afraid more baseball sub forums would make ideas and conversations less populated and less bouncy.
I agree with this but like Theo's general thoughts on the matter. Maybe split off GDTs as a free for all and try and reign in the rest of it.

IMO the thing that made Baseball Talk popular in the past and can make it that way again is quality discussion and content. It doesn't feel worth it sometimes right now with some repetitive and dominating discussion. I think there's an argument that heavier moderation is what it needs to generate new traffic - even though that might feel a little counterintuitive. Even some automated things like new thread approval or a post per day limit might help resolve some of the inanity.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

haltz wrote: IMO the thing that made Baseball Talk popular in the past and can make it that way again is quality discussion and content. It doesn't feel worth it sometimes right now with some repetitive and dominating discussion. I think there's an argument that heavier moderation is what it needs to generate new traffic - even though that might feel a little counterintuitive. Even some automated things like new thread approval or a post per day limit might help resolve some of the inanity.
This makes a lot of sense and not something that I'd not really thought about until just now.

But, there does seem to be more (and definitely better/more civilized discourse) when posters don't go into a discussion with a preconceived idea of which their opinion will never change. Really, it only takes a couple posters of that mindset to really dominate a topic because, frankly, it takes more words to argue/justify an incorrect position than a justly defended one.

JMO.

ETA: Not all long posts are incorrect, that's not what I was trying to imply. Moreso, if someone says something flat out wrong, like 1+1=3 for instance, that's going to generate a lot of replies. And, if a poster really believes 1+1=3 he/she is going to spend a lot of time arguing that and replying to each post because of the amount of replies its going to generate and the variety of angles posters will find to attack the position. Then that derails into arguments over the derivatives posters use in their counterposts and so on and so forth. Strawmen get created and beat to death, snarky quips come fast and furious, etc. It's just a bad situation that turns off a lot of people I think is the point I'm trying to make.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I agree with the idea of somehow limiting the threads where the same thing is brought up over and over again. For example, I tend to stay away from any thread that mentions former Cardinals or the front office in the topic unless they mention a specific player and are reasonably short. There are only so many times I can handle opening one of those threads just to see ten pages of "Tommy Pham is the best player ever and Mo is the worst GM/President/whatever of all time for trading him and BDIII only cares about making money."

I'm not saying that all of the arguments are wrong but I freaking get it by now. People love Tommy Pham and are done with Mo. Time to move on.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

TheoSqua wrote:Baseball Discussion: An article-based area where posters can write up thoughts/ analysis/ideas. This would be heavily moderated and all posts would be required to stay on topic. All negative arguments/insults/ etc. would be removed.
I'd probably post more in Baseball if there were a sub-forum for this. BT was my wheelhouse when I joined here and for my first several years and it's currently intolerable due to the signal to noise ratio being a bit out of whack. If that stuff was moderated out I'd probably be more inclined to go through that part of GRB and talk baseball, but it's literally less frustrating to talk to people about guns or Trump the last couple years.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

wart57 wrote:I am not in favor of heavier moderation.
So you're saying all things in moderation?

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

haltz wrote:IMO the thing that made Baseball Talk popular in the past and can make it that way again is quality discussion and content.
I'm going to take a small part of the blame for that. Back when I had more free time during the workday, I would mine online chats by experts and cull the NL Central content. (Anyone remember the "NL Central comments" threads?) I don't have the time to do that now. Now, I will say that once I'm retired, I would and I actually would have interest in resuming that function for the board. But retirement is about... 10-15 years away.

In the meantime, I can make a good faith effort to try and revive those posts. It would be sporadic, but maybe better than nothing? What say you, GRB?

P.S. I'd also need heyzeus' help in keeping egomaniacs like KLaw off my back.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

mikechamp wrote:
wart57 wrote:I am not in favor of heavier moderation.
So you're saying all things in moderation?
Including moderation....

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

bring back flashchat and get rid of GDTs