Reorganizing GRB content

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Reorganizing GRB content

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

go birds wrote:bring back flashchat and get rid of GDTs
But then we'd have to come up with another make-work project for CardsofSTL.

I'm not babysitting him.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

For the record, I'd like to see a revival of the Interviews. I always liked those opportunities, and felt it was one of the few unique things about this message board.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

haltz wrote:IMO the thing that made Baseball Talk popular in the past and can make it that way again is quality discussion and content. It doesn't feel worth it sometimes right now with some repetitive and dominating discussion. I think there's an argument that heavier moderation is what it needs to generate new traffic - even though that might feel a little counterintuitive.
Agreed. Don't think reorganization will make much difference. Aggressive modding and recruitment could, though obviously that's a lot more work.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

go birds wrote:bring back flashchat and get rid of GDTs
Or just make all GDTs flashchats and they go away. People who like the "UGH" or "YAY" moments of GDTs get that, and it goes away. It's not like we need to revisit the 6th inning of some game in early June in two years and how the board was feeling about it. We have bbref for game logs if we forget.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Baseball Talk subforums: yes
GRB HoF: sure
Consolidate/remove stale forums: yes
Privileged forums: politics discussion sure; the rest definitely no

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

I would split BT into the poop-posting forum (which would include the GDTs, but could be broader) and the high standards forum. MILB would be consolidated into the high standards forum. I would moderate the poop-posting forum only to get rid of spam, personal attacks, and the like, while low quality posts in the high standards forum would be demoted to the poop-posting forum. Repeated demotions would mean the offending account gets read-only access to the high standards forum for however long the mods feel like it. Also, I would literally call the low class forum the [expletive] posting forum, on the hope that anyone wandering in there would not take it that seriously.

But it's a baseball discussion board. You're going to have poop-posting.

Privileged forums seem like a bad idea on all fronts, unless the person demonstrates they won't play nice. As a rule I would prefer fewer forums.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

The board is fine, I'm just weary over the pissing contests that derail some threads.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i'm not sure i know what to do but i just hope GRB stays. even with [expletive] and moaning and stupid stuff we get caught up in i love this place. can't believe its been 13 years now.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Jocephus wrote:i'm not sure i know what to do but i just hope GRB stays. even with [expletive] and moaning and stupid stuff we get caught up in i love this place. can't believe its been 13 years now.
This. I like it how it is but if the format changes, I will adapt.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i'm not sure i know what to do but i just hope GRB stays. even with [expletive] and moaning and stupid stuff we get caught up in i love this place. can't believe its been 13 years now.
This. I like it how it is but if the format changes, I will adapt.
I actually agree with you on something Fat - is this a sign of the Apocalypse?