The Albert Pujols milestone thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: The Albert Pujols milestone thread

Post by Jocephus »

Pujols
Do you think I care about round numbers? close to losing my career .300 average. Do I retire before that happens?

Jay Jaffe
No. Maybe if the contract was up at the end of this year, but bypassing two more years and a total of $59 million to keep it .300? Nobody cares about batting average that much.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

Jocephus wrote:
Pujols
Do you think I care about round numbers? close to losing my career .300 average. Do I retire before that happens?

Jay Jaffe
No. Maybe if the contract was up at the end of this year, but bypassing two more years and a total of $59 million to keep it .300? Nobody cares about batting average that much.
Mickey Mantle’s career BA dropped below .300 in his last season and it bothered him for the rest of his life. He finished with a career BA of .298.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Albert Pujols is now 3rd on the MLB All Time RBI list. Or 2nd, depending on the list.

Pretty [expletive] cool.

InvincibleCakeEater

Pujols just passed George Brett for 6th on the all time doubles list. 2 behind Biggio for 5th.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ZiPS Time Warp: Albert Pujols
by Dan Szymborski
September 4, 2020
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zips-time-w ... rt-pujols/
Thirteen Hall of Fame hitters played replacement-level ball or worse starting at age 35. Pujols stands out for the amount of ineffective baseball we’ve seen from him, with the rest of the players on the list retiring either voluntarily or non-voluntarily when it was clear they could no longer contribute in the majors. With guaranteed money and no apparent motivation on either side for a buyout that would lead to a graceful retirement, this has led to an unfortunate secondary result in which we’ve seen Pujols at his worst longer than any other great hitter.

Rather than imagining a Hall of Famer who spent the last decade of his career as a Quadruple-A slugger, let’s take the ZiPS Time Machine back to a happier period, when Albert was Albert. Let’s go back to just after the 2010 season, his last great year. He hit .324/.414/.596, led the league in home runs, RBIs (weirdly the only time he did this), and until hitting .293 in September, had a realistic shot at the Triple Crown before Miguel Cabrera got his. Sure, any projection from this point will feature a lot of decline, but hopefully a gentler one that would see Pujols hit some of these career milestones at least closer to his customary awesomeness.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Unlike many of these all-time greats, Albert emerged in the majors fully formed with little need for adjustment. As impressive as a .329/.403/.610, 37 HR, 7.2 WAR debut was for a 21-year-old, it’s stunning how he managed having only played three games above A-ball.
He really only played 3 games above A ball before his MLB debut? I never knew that.

InvincibleCakeEater

Gashouse wrote:
September 5 20, 7:03 am
Unlike many of these all-time greats, Albert emerged in the majors fully formed with little need for adjustment. As impressive as a .329/.403/.610, 37 HR, 7.2 WAR debut was for a 21-year-old, it’s stunning how he managed having only played three games above A-ball.
He really only played 3 games above A ball before his MLB debut? I never knew that.
21 in high A and 3 in Memphis.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Albert Pujols hasn't hit a home run in his last 20 starts.

That dates back to August 5, as all three of Pujols' long balls this season came in his first eight contests. Any fantasy value Pujols can muster at this point comes strictly from his home runs and RBI, and he's also not an everyday player any more.
Sep 11, 2020, 11:15 AM ET

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

InvincibleCakeEater

So [expletive] awesome!