MMMMMmmmmmm, donuts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: MMMMMmmmmmm, donuts

Post by lukethedrifter »

heyzeus wrote:kolaches > donuts
I tried the kolache place on Brentwood but it smelled like the sewer had backed up in the place both times i went.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Ew. Those pictures Zeus posted look amazing. I'm going to try that Knead donut soon.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Pharaoh's Donuts is located in downtown:

https://www.facebook.com/Pharaohsbakery/

It's fantastic and I would highly recommend trying them out.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Lesson wrote:Pharaoh's Donuts is located in downtown:

https://www.facebook.com/Pharaohsbakery/

It's fantastic and I would highly recommend trying them out.
There's a dessert place right by me that gets their donuts from Pharaohs each morning. I've only ever had the plain glazed, but it was really solid.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

lukethedrifter wrote:
I tried the kolache place on Brentwood but it smelled like the sewer had backed up in the place both times i went.
Ah, that's the Kolache Factory, a Texas chain. Their little ham and cheese balls (technically the meat ones are called klobasniky, but the chains will just go with kolache) are delicious. Sounds like you might need to hold your nose while you order though.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

heyzeus wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Ah, that's the Kolache Factory, a Texas chain. Their little ham and cheese balls (technically the meat ones are called klobasniky, but the chains will just go with kolache) are delicious. Sounds like you might need to hold your nose while you order though.
I go there about once a week. have a wallet full of 2 for 1 coupons. $3 breakfast.

I may be immune to the smell by now. My Roman nose has not detected sewage in there though area sewers do emit a stank -with one of the culprits on the north of that small lot.

MSD doing a lot of work nearby last few years seems to have helped some. Either that or a rainy year

Btw-that location was Dynasty Donuts before Kolache Factory. Donuts were good but the place was extremely dirty.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm going to have to give Pharoah's a try since it doesn't seem like World's Fair will be opening back up any time soon, if ever. The article I found last week said that they were hoping to open up on again on August 15 and there hasn't been any activity yet. I don't think they will reopen.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

tlombard wrote:I'm going to have to give Pharoah's a try since it doesn't seem like World's Fair will be opening back up any time soon, if ever. The article I found last week said that they were hoping to open up on again on August 15 and there hasn't been any activity yet. I don't think they will reopen.
Old ladies and broken hips are a terrible combination. I’d be shocked if she comes back.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

That's good to see.

I did try a couple of new (to me) places after posting this thread. I tried Strange, and wasn't very impressed. I didn't go with any of the "strange" varieties, but somewhat more standard fare. I think I had a chocolate-iced custard filled thing and a glazed with caramel icing or something. They were pretty dry. And the custard filled thing, while quite large - I was halfway through the donut before I hit anything. Unacceptable, especially at nearly $5 for two donuts.

I took Luke's suggestion and went to Knead. Holy [expletive], those were some good donuts. I think I got two donuts (don't remember exactly what kind, because my memory sucks) and a giant cinnamon roll. Shared them with my wife over the course of the day. Those were damn good, worth the price (occasionally), and something I definitely would have revisited had I not started this Keto thing soon after that experience.

Still, all in all, though, I haven't found anything that beats Schnucks donut-wise when you combine quality with cost. They really do have some damn good donuts.