Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Post by Jocephus »

hate to say it but that 12.99 plan seems like a good deal. if i kept netflix thats what another 12, so maybe like, ~25 bucks a month on this stuff...probably not a bad deal...but on the other hand, am i really gonna be watching all that stuff...and man is this a 1st world problem
Disney+ won’t be available until November 12, but recent announcements provide a clear picture of what to expect.
Price

Disney+ will be available in a standalone package for either $6.99 monthly or $69.99 annually. However, Disney will also be offering a bundle that includes Disney+, ESPN Plus, and the basic ad-supported Hulu service for $12.99 a month, which is several dollars cheaper than subscribing to each separately. It’s also roughly equivalent in cost to Netflix’s HD subscription tier and Amazon Prime’s monthly payment option, but includes three services instead of just one.
Noteworthy content

Disney+ is going to be the home of pretty much all Disney-owned TV series and movies from now on. All Disney and Pixar animated films, Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, and Star Wars films and animated TV series will be on the service, as well as upcoming premium TV series based on many of these properties, such as The Mandalorian and Loki. It’s also worth noting that Disney+ will be the streaming home for the entire 30-season run of The Simpsons. Admittedly, the full Disney+library is likely going to be smaller at first than its competitors, but the overall quality is arguably better than most.
https://lifehacker.com/how-disney-compa ... 1837042032

another article on it
ESPN+ is the Disney-owned sports streaming platform, which carries “hundreds of MLB, NHL and MLS games, Grand Slam tennis, Top Rank boxing, PGA Tour golf, college sports, international rugby, cricket, the full library of ESPN Films including 30 for 30, and more.” It’s also now the streaming destination for UFC fights, which Disney no doubt hopes can make up for the lack of SportsCenter and other banner shows from ESPN the cable network.

The bundle will include the standard, ad-supported tier of Hulu — not the more expensive no-commercials plan or Hulu with Live TV. Presumably Disney will offer a way to upgrade to those pricier Hulu subscriptions.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/6/20757 ... ng-service

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Being a die-hard UFC and MLS fan makes it an easy choice.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

I think I pay now more in subscription services than I did when I was just paying for cable.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

JackofDiamonds wrote:I think I pay now more in subscription services than I did when I was just paying for cable.
I've wondered what the break-even point was for people who cut the cord.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm not thrilled with paying $50 now for YouTube TV but it is still what I watch 90% of the time with the other 10% being mainly Hulu with some Netflix. Overall, I'm still paying much less than I was with Charter when you consider I was paying over $200/month with Charter for Internet and cable. Now I pay less than $70/month and use my phone, which I was already paying $75/month for, to stream everything. Sure, I can't play GTA Online or anything using my phone but I never did that anyway. My phone hotspot is fast enough for me to work from home even. When I need to download a new game or an update for a game on my Switch, I just toss it in my bag with my laptop and download the game/update either at work or if I go to the bar after work, I do it there. Maybe if it is a Saturday morning, I'll walk right around the corner to the library and do it there, LOL.

Personally, I don't feel like I'm missing a thing and haven't really had to make any serious concessions to my routine. The only thing would be that if somebody were at my apartment when I wasn't there, they would be stuck watching broadcast TV since my phone wouldn't be available to use as the hotspot or cast YouTubeTV but that is their problem! If I had a wife and/or kids, I would be back with Charter though. Too much hassle for me if I wasn't single.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

tlombard wrote:I'm not thrilled with paying $50 now for YouTube TV but it is still what I watch 90% of the time with the other 10% being mainly Hulu with some Netflix. Overall, I'm still paying much less than I was with Charter when you consider I was paying over $200/month with Charter for Internet and cable. Now I pay less than $70/month and use my phone, which I was already paying $75/month for, to stream everything. Sure, I can't play GTA Online or anything using my phone but I never did that anyway. My phone hotspot is fast enough for me to work from home even. When I need to download a new game or an update for a game on my Switch, I just toss it in my bag with my laptop and download the game/update either at work or if I go to the bar after work, I do it there. Maybe if it is a Saturday morning, I'll walk right around the corner to the library and do it there, LOL.

Personally, I don't feel like I'm missing a thing and haven't really had to make any serious concessions to my routine. The only thing would be that if somebody were at my apartment when I wasn't there, they would be stuck watching broadcast TV since my phone wouldn't be available to use as the hotspot or cast YouTubeTV but that is their problem! If I had a wife and/or kids, I would be back with Charter though. Too much hassle for me if I wasn't single.
The savings would be minimal if any for what we use. I guess I will keep Charter.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

You'se guys need to get some friends or family members to get some kind of group thing going where everybody pays for one or two things and shares the account. I pay for Amazon Prime (would anyway for the shipping), HBO Now, and YouTube Premium, so it comes out to like $37/month total or something (and I probably should drop the YouTube Premium; I did a trial when Cobra Kai first came out, then got hooked on no commercials. I think I'm the only one using it.) Then brother throws in the Hulu subscription and sister does the Netflix, and I have everything I need. Brother-in-law has Sling which I could get from him but just haven't bothered yet.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Smith Corks One wrote:You'se guys need to get some friends or family members to get some kind of group thing going where everybody pays for one or two things and shares the account. I pay for Amazon Prime (would anyway for the shipping), HBO Now, and YouTube Premium, so it comes out to like $37/month total or something (and I probably should drop the YouTube Premium; I did a trial when Cobra Kai first came out, then got hooked on no commercials. I think I'm the only one using it.) Then brother throws in the Hulu subscription and sister does the Netflix, and I have everything I need. Brother-in-law has Sling which I could get from him but just haven't bothered yet.
Yeah, that makes sense.

I guess I'm at a point in my life that I don't know if the hassle is worth it to save $50.00 bucks a month.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, HBOGo, MLB.tv, NHL TV, ESPN+, and who knows what else that I'm not even thinking of... I have more now than I ever watch, but each has 1 or 2 things that are compelling enough to make me keep it.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I worry about signing up for YouTube Premium, because then I'd miss out on an ad for signing up for it every 15 goddam seconds I'm on the platform. [expletive] off YouTube. I have to swipe past an ad literally every time I go to the site/app and at this point there are so many goddam ads it isn't that often--but still more often than I'd like. (It can be a very useful tool)