Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on September 1.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat ... -5932.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Does Ozuna resign?

Mark Polishuk
My guess is no, since the Cardinals tend to move early to extend guys they really want to keep.
Castellanos is doing great. Could the deal with Detroit be considered criminal?

Mark Polishuk
It'll be some time before we can fully access that deal, given how the prospects turn out. But for the short term, yep, huge win for the Cubs.
With the season Starling Marte is having, do you think the Pirates will trade him this offseason?

Mark Polishuk
It's unclear yet what the Pirates will be doing this winter, whether it's going for it in 2020, entering into a rebuild, or sticking to their usual route of more or less trying to do both at the same time. It could be further complicated if there's a new GM in place, should ownership decide to move on from Huntington.

For now, I doubt Marte gets moved, but the perspective could be quite different in a couple of months' time.
Will Felipe Vazquez be a Dodger if LA blows it come October?

Mark Polishuk
The Dodgers don't really seem like the type to make a lot of reactionary trades, and multiple reports suggested that Pittsburgh wanted Gavin Lux and more for Vazquez.

I don't know if LA's mindset would change if they lost a third straight World Series, but I'd suspect they still wouldn't meet the Pirates' asking price (if it remains so high). This isn't to say that the Dodgers wouldn't look for bullpen help, but they might figure they can find other good arms at a lesser trade cost than what the Bucs would want for Vazquez.
If the Brewers miss the playoffs, but the Nats make it, does Rendon finish ahead of Yelich in the MVP voting?

Mark Polishuk
Sure, I can see that happening.