Uncle Charlie

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

What are your thoughts on Adam Wainwright after this season?

Hats off to a great career
15%
Re-sign him to a similar one year deal
70%
Bring him back as a long man/reliever
9%
Time for him to retire
3%
Wainwright would be a great addition to FSMW
3%

Total votes: 33

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Uncle Charlie

Post by JCShutout »

My thoughts? Bring him back as a long man/relief pitcher, (and have him stretched out to start in the Spring in case someone gets injured) and sign a top starter. What do I think the Cards will do? Resign Waino for the rotation.
Last edited by JCShutout on September 9 19, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Yes, bring him back on a similar deal.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

When I say staples, I don't mean Cole necessarily. But they've traded Weaver and Gonzalez. Reyes never became who we thought. Woodford could be the next guy they shove in the rotation, but not a big fan. Can't rely on Ponce de Leon/Gant/Gombers for much. I would like to see them commit to a young arm through the farm or trade for someone. The replacement for Wacha and possibly Wainwright means lots of innings. Curious where they go.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'd argue he's pitched better than a 5th starter and I've love to see him back. Like all MLB staffs, we just need a reasonable backup option if he or someone else falters.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:It can't be him AND Wacha in the rotation.

I'd like to see Martinez stay the closer but he wants to start.

Flaherty
Hudson
Mikolas
Martinez
Wainwright

That could be pretty good but who will close next year?
I agree with this. Gallegos could close next year. If Carlos is not back in the rotation then they really need to sign someone because Wacha ain't it.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

cardsfantx wrote:now, if the question is, what WILL the FO do?

oh, he's coming back, no doubt in my mind...he's been good as a 5th starter, and they will def push their luck

0% chance they even look at Cole, I bet

I'm not disagreeing but I think there's a parallel 98.5% chance the FO talks about Cole like they're going to try and get him.

I say run this Wainwright deal back again, if he eants. Keeps us in most ballgames.
Last edited by BottenFieldofDreams on September 9 19, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

there's 0% chance the team would sign wacha

right?!?!

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Part of the AW returning equation is what they do with the rest of the roster. You/they can justify bringing AW back for the fifth spot, letting Ozuna walk because of O’Neill/Bader/Carlson/Fowler/Arozarena, and leaving the rest of the lineup and rotation intact. At that point, you maybe make a short-term bullpen move to protect Gallegos until Hicks returns, but basically, you are cutting about $20 in payroll because who you have is good ‘nough!

This offseason begs for the Cards to go better than good enough at one or two positions. Whether that is Ozuna returning, a good starter, a non-Ozuna OF’er, a 3bman, or elite closer. My preference is probably that order.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The way the front office works in the offseason is they fill the biggest need right away and then call it an offseason.

Will they sign a 3B? Nope, not while Marp is still getting paid semi-big dollars. They'll just hope for a bounce-back season from him.

Will the re-sign Ozuna? Nope, not with all those halfway decent internal options.

I actually think they could sign Cole or Wheeler honestly. The rotation will be their biggest hole. But if they do that, they won't do anything else, at least nothing significant. They maybe sign or trade for some relief guys they think they can turn into something useful.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:I'd argue he's pitched better than a 5th starter and I've love to see him back. Like all MLB staffs, we just need a reasonable backup option if he or someone else falters.
+