Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on September 15.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat ... -6018.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
How long will Rizzo be out... who plays first? Jim Adduci?

Mark Polishuk
No word yet on Rizzo's timeline.

First base is relatively easy to fill in terms of finding guys to handle the position (though obviously not nearly at Rizzo's level of production). Cubs can use Happ, Caratini, maybe Zobrist, or maybe they move Bryant over for a few games.
G. Torres (Yankees) to Brewers for Hader who says no?

Mark Polishuk
Yankees say no without much thought. A valuable everyday player is worth more than an reliever.
Do the Cards even make the playoffs?

Mark Polishuk
I still think so, sure.

(Assuming you mean the STL Cardinals and not the Arizona Cardinals, as exciting as Kyler Murray has looked).
Any thoughts on where Didi ends up? There are always fewer teams looking for veteran SS than people realize, but... maybe the Blue Jays?

Mark Polishuk
Jays don't seem like a fit, they're committed to using Bichette at shortstop.

Other potential Didi suitors that spring to mind... Brewers, Cubs, maybe Cleveland if Lindor is traded. But you're right, it's a shorter list than one might imagine.
Hader is not just "an reliever". He's worth more than Torres and the Yankees, being bullpen savvy, know it. My opinion.

Mark Polishuk
Oh don't get me wrong, Hader is an excellent pitcher. But Torres looks like he can be (at least) an above-average MLB regular for the next decade. That carries a lot more value than even one of the game's very best relievers.
Who’s the manager of the Cubs next season?

Mark Polishuk
My guess is that Maddon is gone, barring something like a surprise NL pennant or another Series win.

It's getting harder and harder to predict "next manager" hires since so many teams are hiring first-time guys who (in some cases) have barely any MLB coaching experience, let alone managerial experience. In general, I'd look at coaches who have worked under Epstein in the past in Chicago and Boston.

There's also the ever-present David Ross situation, though he might want a bench coach role or something rather than a manager's job.
Who is the highest bidder for Cole? Yanks, maybe Angels?

Mark Polishuk
Those two will be in the mix. Phillies, White Sox, Padres, Giants, Cardinals...maybe the Twins or Rangers could also be involved.
Where does Castellanos end up next season?

Mark Polishuk
I'm still hesitant to say Chicago, since the Cubs must realize that a Schwarber/Heyward/Castellanos defensive alignment is far from ideal.

But Castellanos has does a ton to revive his value. His best bet is still an AL team that can DH him on a semi-regular to regular basis, but contenders with open DH spots aren't in big supply.
What SP free agent do Brewers target?

Mark Polishuk
I don't see them shopping at the top of the market, since that's not their M.O.

Maybe in the Michael Pineda, Tanner Roark, type of tier. A reunion with Gio Gonzalez also makes a lot of sense.

Gypsy Lou
Everyday Player

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Gypsy Lou »

Surprising he thinks the Cards will be in on Cole. My out of the box idea: Sign Didi to play short, move DeJong to 3rd, package Wong and O'Neill for a stud starter and play Edman at 2nd. I'm sure they'll commit to Carpenter at 3rd though because of that stupid extension.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I'm not sure about that. Benching Marp during the home stretch doesn't sound like much of a commitment to me.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Wong has 4.9 WAR this season. Not sure I would package him for anything.

Gypsy Lou
Everyday Player

Post by Gypsy Lou »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Wong has 4.9 WAR this season. Not sure I would package him for anything.
I know, imagine what value you could get for him now though. I guess I'm overvaluing Edman, I just don't think you'd lose much with him at 2nd.