Christmas shopping

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Christmas shopping

Post by IMADreamer »

I've done very little Christmas shopping in my adult life. I'm a get it online guy, but my wife is really into Christmas so we went out today for a day of shopping. We hit this Christmas craft convention and holy hell do people just not pay attention. Just getting in the parking lot was an adventure, people driving way too fast in the lot, people walking out from between cars without looking, and people not knowing how to park. Then once in side this place old ladies everywhere just not paying attention at all to what they are doing. I had three separate ladies back up while looking at something right into me. One I would have knocked on her ass had I not caught her as she fell.

Then we went to the mall. I've been to the mall probably twice in the last five years. Once a month ago when I swear we were the only people there. Then today and it was freaking packed. Again with crazy ladies not paying attention.

Finally my first trip to bed bath and beyond. Where it seems like Santa clause [expletive] out an evergreen smelling Martha Stewart catalog. Again just packed.

All in all though we did have a fun day because we are at the point where we don't take much seriously and spend more time trying to make each other laugh then we do getting anything actually accomplished. Still, I hope this is my last Christmas shopping trip of the year.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Christmas shopping

Post by Freed Roger »

Jeeesssssus. His BDay is about 2 months away.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

My favorite is when people see something to the side, stare at it with an intensity that evolution saved for avoiding bears, (because that trinket deserves that focus) don't use their peripheral vision, and then walk in a direction they re not looking. How did these people make it through evolution? How did their ancestors not see something shiny and get eaten, or walk off a cliff or something?

If you see something, note it, and look behind you and find a way to get yourself to the side. Don't just stop if you're in a flow of people moving. Would you do that in traffic? Head on a swivel.

Also people, stop waddling sideways. Walking is forward. If you have to shift side to side to move forward, then you're doing it wrong. Yes, you're somehow WALKING wrong. Its not hard. Its WALKING.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

Freed Roger wrote:Jeeesssssus. His BDay is about 2 months away.

True but we were trying to beat the rush so we don't have to go out in public between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

All Christmas shopping is supposed to be done at 2 am at a Walmart on December 23.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

CardsofSTL wrote:All Christmas shopping is supposed to be done at 2 am at a Walmart on December 23.
I live in a small town and our Wal Mart closes at 10pm. :/

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

IMADreamer wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:All Christmas shopping is supposed to be done at 2 am at a Walmart on December 23.
I live in a small town and our Wal Mart closes at 10pm. :/
That sounds made up

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

We were in KY over the weekend, and spent Saturday afternoon walking around the NuLu part of Louisville. Saturday it was packed with people like I've never seen it. It was like every woman between 25-45 with disposable income, skinny jeans and ankle boots in north-central KY was out shopping on this 5-block stretch. My wife wanted to shop the 'hood so we hit maybe 7 stores just jammed full of people. Most of these stores you had to squeeze through people, it was just so crowded. At one point we were trying to get past the throngs of Kentucky moms shopping for ornaments to get out of a store. A mail carrier stepped into the store, realized he wasn't getting to the counter easily, and called out "Does anyone have outgoing mail?" and all I could do was call back "I'm a male who would love to go out." Couple of the KY ladies chuckled. No one moved for me though.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I can't do stuff like what IMA did anymore. People don't have self-awareness and generally act like idiots.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

33anda3rd wrote:all I could do was call back "I'm a male who would love to go out." Couple of the KY ladies chuckled. No one moved for me though.
It's Kentucky. Most of them probably thought you were hitting on the mail guy.