Rave: This REI coat

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Rave: This REI coat

Post by 33anda3rd »

THIS MF-ER RIGHT HERE

I went to the REI and was like hi, winter coming, I really want something that’s Midwest-winter warm, like if it’s -10 I’m still warm and but also I don’t want it to be big and clunky and heavy and stuff. My last couple coats have been way way way too heavy so when I go to a bar or movie or restaurant or whatever they’re cumbersome and I was just kind of over it.

So the REI person she takes me directly to this coat and she was way into it. It was light. It felt warm in the store. She tells me if I don’t like it then I get all of my money back even 2 months from now, they’d just put it in a “garage sale” for members and sell it, and she guaranteed I’d love it. She went through so many features of the jacket—zippers in the armpits, the way the hood tightens up, the type of down, the waterproofiness, like 17 other things, it was like jeez why don’t you marry it? It was only $250, so quite a bit less than similar stuff from Patagonia or North Face. The whole thing, she was so into this jacket and the program, it felt weird and cult-like, like I got out of a time machine in 1996 and she was selling me a Saturn or something. But I bought it anyway, and man am I glad I did. It’s warm to the point that if it’s much over 45 it’s uncomfortably warm and it’s the lightest warm coat I’ve ever had. It fits perfectly whether I’m wearing a big hoodie or a t-shirt under. It’s got good pockets. It’s truly waterproof so the down doesn’t get all screwed up when it rains a little bit. I love this coat.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: Rave: This REI coat

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Jeez, why don't you marry it?

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

I doubt I’ve spent a total of $250 on coats in my life.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't wear coats

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Smith Corks One wrote:I doubt I’ve spent a total of $250 on coats in my life.
I used to be like that. One day a few years ago I got tired of buying cheaply made stuff and moved into pricier stuff that will last a long time. Just got myself a Filson jacket earlier this year. 20% off a $350 jacket.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I went to Chiefs game about a decade ago, if not longer. It was in December and despite dressing what I thought would be warm enough, my jacket was woefully inadequate. Ended up talking to a couple pilots from San Diego (Chargers were in town) and they gave me an Air Force issued jacket. It was just a plain looking fleece jacket with some water proof material on the shoulders. Similar to this but the material stretches some distance down the arms.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Anyway, that has been the absolute best jacket I've ever had. First off, I wore it the rest of the day and it was instantly warmer than the snowboarding jacket I had on despite being much smaller. The pilots were basically just like...dude, trust me, this is the warmest jacket you'll ever need and they were not wrong. IDK how it works, but it does.

I gave it to my dad to put on a couple years ago one night when we were outside watching football. The sun had gone down and the temp dropped probably down into the 30s from the 50s. Anyway, after about 5 minutes, he goes, "where'd this jacket come from? It's impossibly warm. I need to get one." All that to say, I don't know how it works, but undoubtedly they figured out something about how to effectively trap the body's heat and recirculate it.

I've watched multiple things about DARPA projects that help regulate body temps and never saw anything about the jacket but they do have some really cool stuff going on.

I got it for free, but that jacket has served me extremely well for a long time now. How much it's worth, I have no idea. But, I'd pay a ton for another one if/when this one ever wears out.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

CardsofSTL wrote:I don't wear coats
You guys are crazy. Being cold sucks it.

I have a Banana Republic peacoat for work attire, and a Helly Hansen for normal stuff. Good coats are worth every penny.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
You guys are crazy. Being cold sucks it.

I have a Banana Republic peacoat for work attire, and a Helly Hansen for normal stuff. Good coats are worth every penny.
Absolutely.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Whaddya, live in San Diego or something?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

That actually looks pretty great and I'm looking for something similar. I think I might buy it. My current heavy coat makes me look like that kid from The Christmas Story.