2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: 2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

Post by tlombard »

Man, having Sunny back last night really made a difference. He played a great game.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

tlombard wrote:Man, having Sunny back last night really made a difference. He played a great game.
If he keeps this up, 4/11 is a helluva deal for him.

If Barbashev keeps it up, he'll be looking at a similar deal in a couple of years.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Hell of a comeback. 4 unanswered goals in the 3rd to win 4-3. Robert Thomas with two incredible assists on Bozak's goals and a nice assist on the game winner too.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

JCShutout wrote:Hell of a comeback. 4 unanswered goals in the 3rd to win 4-3. Robert Thomas with two incredible assists on Bozak's goals and a nice assist on the game winner too.
Girl I just met last week was watching the game Saturday with some Chicago fan friends of hers so when the Blues started that comeback I started sending her pictures making fun of the Blackhawks, especially ones that involved the Blues. Right after the game I got a picture back from her. Apparently she showed the stuff that I was sending to her friends and they had something to say to me. It was just a girl in a Blackhawks' jersey giving me the middle finger. I love it!!!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Ha, remember when I was all like "STOP SIGNING DAVID PERRON!!! HE'S A CRAPPY 3RD LINER!!!1!"

Lol, I'll keep my day job.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

JCShutout wrote:Ha, remember when I was all like "STOP SIGNING DAVID PERRON!!! HE'S A CRAPPY 3RD LINER!!!1!"

lol no kidding...he's ever only signed a contract with us, and every damn time they do I felt my blood pressure rise. like, we know what he is, why do we keep going down this road?!?!

but I'm dead wrong this time around...he's been fantastic.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

cardsfantx wrote:
JCShutout wrote:Ha, remember when I was all like "STOP SIGNING DAVID PERRON!!! HE'S A CRAPPY 3RD LINER!!!1!"

lol no kidding...he's ever only signed a contract with us, and every damn time they do I felt my blood pressure rise. like, we know what he is, why do we keep going down this road?!?!

Turned it on and Blues were losing and was pretty sure they would win, because they are on that kind of a roll. Then yep, two goals within seconds to take the lead. And then Jordan Kyrou's highlight reel goal. And then a rink full of hats for the hat trick, and topped off with chants of "Kroenke Sucks" (not that he hears them huddled with lawyers overs Rams lawsuits and cost overruns).

Peaking too soon? I dunno -when you get the contributions from new sources it only adds to strength.

High times for Blues fans.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

cardsfantx wrote:

I'm a terrible judge of hockey talent but I can honestly say that I've always been a huge fan of Perron and love that he keeps coming back to the Blues.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I think I always liked Perron, but didn't like bringing him back when we had guys like Berglund, Sobotka, Lehtera, Bouwmeester (injured and making $2m more per year), Gunnarson (making almost double his current salary) (etc) all over the roster. We were overrun with overpaid, mediocre guys who could be replaced less expensively and were in dire need of 55-70 point guys. I saw Perron as a "tweener". A guy who could play on a scoring line with good players and find 50 points, but was probably more suited to being a good third liner who can consistently score 17-22 goals and move up a line if needed. (See, Sundqvist) We already had like 5 of those at the time. However he's adjusted his game and shot, he's a legit scoring line player and has been for 3 years now. I was wrong.

Acquiring Schenn and ROR while dumping Lehtera, Berglund and Sobotka changes everything. That and Bouwmeester being only slightly overpaid this year, as well as Gunnarson's new deal being just about right, and the emergence of Sunny and Barbie, who, unlike the Lehtera, Berglund and Sobotka deals, are making about what they should for what they provide.

What also helps is the Blues are flush with young guys making little $ who have a lot of skill and upside. That wasn't as much the case a few years ago.

The only "problem" contracts are Bozak and Steen, (Give Faulk some time, though there is likely a little overpay there) and those guys aren't terrible, just getting $2-3m too much per year, and those contracts are up after next year. So instead of having 5 problem contracts, we have two, which isn't horrible, especially when Tarasenko's and Parayko's deals are a bargain atm. On any team in any year, someone is going to decline or be injured or something. Having 1-2 overpays is manageable for a contender, especially one with lots of good young depth. Having 4-6 is a problem.