People in cars

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: People in cars

Post by CardsofSTL »

IMADreamer wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Governors don't require any interaction. At least top them out at 80/85. If you want to go 100+ go find a private road course or a track.

Have you ever driven across the great plains? There no good reason at all that there is a speed limit out there.
Fuel economy.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

CardsofSTL wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Governors don't require any interaction. At least top them out at 80/85. If you want to go 100+ go find a private road course or a track.

Have you ever driven across the great plains? There no good reason at all that there is a speed limit out there.
Fuel economy.
I drove across South Dakota at 72-73 mph because at 80mph I get about 7ish mpg less.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

IMADreamer wrote:

You'd manage

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

On the one hand, excessive speed contributes to a great many crashes and obviously there's a direct if not exponential correlation between speed and fatality. On the same hand, there's fuel economy.

On the other hand, there's freedom.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

ghostrunner wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

You'd manage
I would manage to remove the governor in about a half hour.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I spent over two hours at St. Louis City Hall today dealing with getting my car registered and the people at the Assessor's Office (issue with personal property tax that needed fixed) and DMV were both pleasant and efficient for a change. It took me maybe half an hour to take care of everything including the wait times.

The parking lot on the other hand, that was pure chaos. Disney on Ice had just let out at Enterprise Center and these soccer moms were just making up their own rules as they saw fit. I couldn't even leave my parking spot for 45 minutes. At one point I counted five lines of cars trying to merge into the one exit lane at the booth and since it is during business hours for City Hall, everybody had to pay at the exit. At one point I sent a text that said "Well, I guess I live here now." I was about to go full on road rage without actually being on a road or able to drive two feet. It was maddening. They were just driving straight from their parking spot to the exit across empty parking spaces with no regard for anybody else or the actual lanes in the lot.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Not texting and driving probably saved me from being in an accident last night.

I was driving down Gravois when I got a text from R. so I pulled into the bank parking lot right at Gravois and Gustine. Right as I parked I looked up and the minivan that was behind me before I pulled into the lot had just gotten into an accident. It looked like somebody tried to make a left onto Gustine and didn't make it. Both cars were completely totaled. I ran over there and thankfully the people were both OK if a little shaken up. If I hadn't gotten that text and pulled off the road to read and respond, that might have been me getting hit, or there might not have been as much room and she might not have tried to make it. Either way, I'm really glad that I chose not to even read the text while driving and pulled over. It isn't worth the risk.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Yeah, the texting and scrolling has to be brutalizing the roadways. Accidents seem way up (not going to look up data, sorry), and this is with all these safety enhancements on most cars (like blind spot indicators traction control etc.)

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »