Cardinals Winter Warm Up Highlights

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Cardinals Winter Warm Up Highlights

Post by CardsofSTL »

Pictures from first day of Winter Warm Up

Will 'patience' pay off? Mozeliak open to additions, awaits improvement from within
“Probably the most important word for this group: Patience,” the president of baseball operations told the media Saturday morning. “I know you hate when I use it. But keep it in your back pocket.”

“I always get that question: ‘Well, are you done?’” Mozeliak said. “I like to think about roster building and team construction as you’re never done. There’s always opportunities to try to improve your club. From a baseball operations standpoint, we understand there’s still work to do. But there is no artificial deadline. It’s not simply saying, ‘By Feb. 12, we have to have our team in place. By opening day, we have to have our team in place.’ We’ll continue to look at what our options are … and if that make sense to the Cardinals, we’ll pursue it.”

He added later, in the hallway outside the press conference room: “When I use the term ‘patience’ it’s about understanding if there’s something that makes sense. I think given time people are going to have a better understanding of what it looks like.”
Dylan Carlson visits St. Louis for a weekend.
And as he signed balls and bats and even a boy’s cast on his broken arm, Dylan Carlson said quietly from his table at Winter Warm-Up: “Four-hundred people bought a ticket to see me, and I haven’t even played in the Major Leagues.”

Even Dylan Carlson doesn’t fully understand the hype that is Dylan Carlson.

“It was a real honor to be able to see all the fans’ reactions, how excited they were to just see me,” the 21-year-old switch-hitter said. “I just think that’s really cool and something I’ve never experienced. I had a really fun time.”

On Sunday, manager Mike Shildt said if the Cardinals don’t re-sign left fielder Marcell Ozuna, “We’ve got guys who can compete — and definitely Dylan is one of them.”

The others include Tyler O’Neill and Lane Thomas. Dexter Fowler will start the season in right. Of course, even if Ozuna does return, a case could be made for playing Carlson in center field, instead of Harrison Bader or Thomas. Shildt cautioned: “I can’t rule out the fact that Dylan could be a center fielder, but I haven’t seen him enough to say, yes, he can definitely be an everyday guy at all three positions.”
'We're not going to win this way': Shildt, Cardinals draw a line on sign-stealing
"Listen, we’re in a highly, highly competitive field where the margins are uber-thin. There are expectations including in our market obviously, to win, and to win championships. We’re competitive people in a competitive field. So, I can understand — I am not saying I agree — but I can understand how that murkiness, how that looked like with the technologies (and) could get blurred without definitive line. I can understand how it got to where it has gotten.”

With players and coaches, Shildt also agreed on the way the Cardinals should go.

He put it succinctly to fans Sunday at the Winter Warm-Up, in the Grand Ballroom at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch.

“We don’t want to win this way,” he said. “We’re not going to win this way.”

The crowd applauded.

Shildt and John Mozeliak, president of baseball operations, both intend to discuss the fallout with the roster in spring training, and there is some expectation new rules will be in place to further clear the “murkiness” Shildt mentioned. In the past, the Cardinals have responded to sign-stealing — illegal or gamesmanship — not by tattling but by changing. While not completely aware of the lengths some teams went to rip signs, the Cardinals created a way to deliver pitch calls this past season that successfully, they felt, neutralized the teams they suspected. There have been other times, when catcher Yadier Molina will stop giving signs at all.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: Cardinals Winter Warm Up Highlights

Post by cardsfantx »

Didn’t see this posted...
DeWitt described the payroll as likely to be around $170 million for the 2020 season. He called that "pushing the envelope." Extensions signed this past season and the added expense of compensating for underperforming free agents had pushed the payroll this past season beyond the planned expense. DeWitt said the preference is for the team to start spring training with the roster in place, and he said while they remain in contact with Ozuna's agent there has not been movement toward a reunion.

"That's a pretty strong payroll," DeWitt said. "It's pushing the envelope, to be honest. If there's a great opportunity to move it up a little bit, we'll take a look at that. We really can't be in that kind of ($35 million) range. Unlike a lot of clubs, we have a lot of obligations."

In explaining why he didn't see more payroll growth in the coming season, DeWitt mentioned the team's $20-million mortgage on the ballpark as an expense other teams in the same area of revenue. The capital expenditures have been $10 million, and though he didn't detail that spending the Cardinals have invested heavily in cutting-edge security cameras and systems around the ballpark so that they could earn and maintain a designation from the Department of Homeland Security.

The Cardinals, they say, ranked 11th in local revenue. In recent years, they've tracked in the top third in local revenue, and thye usually hover between eighth to 12th. The payroll, by contrast, fell out of the top third a few years ago, especially as the team became reliant on younger players and this past year returned to the sixth- or seventh-highest in the game.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

cardsfantx wrote:Didn’t see this posted...
DeWitt described the payroll as likely to be around $170 million for the 2020 season. He called that "pushing the envelope." Extensions signed this past season and the added expense of compensating for underperforming free agents had pushed the payroll this past season beyond the planned expense. DeWitt said the preference is for the team to start spring training with the roster in place, and he said while they remain in contact with Ozuna's agent there has not been movement toward a reunion.

"That's a pretty strong payroll," DeWitt said. "It's pushing the envelope, to be honest. If there's a great opportunity to move it up a little bit, we'll take a look at that. We really can't be in that kind of ($35 million) range. Unlike a lot of clubs, we have a lot of obligations."

In explaining why he didn't see more payroll growth in the coming season, DeWitt mentioned the team's $20-million mortgage on the ballpark as an expense other teams in the same area of revenue. The capital expenditures have been $10 million, and though he didn't detail that spending the Cardinals have invested heavily in cutting-edge security cameras and systems around the ballpark so that they could earn and maintain a designation from the Department of Homeland Security.

The Cardinals, they say, ranked 11th in local revenue. In recent years, they've tracked in the top third in local revenue, and they usually hover between eighth to 12th. The payroll, by contrast, fell out of the top third a few years ago, especially as the team became reliant on younger players and this past year returned to the sixth- or seventh-highest in the game.
It is estimated that this businessman and sports fanatic’s personal net worth is in the region of $4 billion
Cardinals' DeWitt is MLB's 'most powerful' owner, says USA Today
A source familiar confirmed this is a new deal that covers the 2018 through 2032 seasons and will pay more than $1 billion over the 15 years [$66.7 million a year] in rights fees and signing bonus. The first year rights fee will start around $50 million and grow with a single-digit annual escalator. It is estimated the final year rights payment will be around $86 million.
Local revenue was $7.29 billion last season
The Cardinals’ operating income rose to $65 million last season from $40 million the prior year

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »