2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Re: 2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

Post by TheoSqua »

JCShutout wrote:
February 10 20, 12:49 pm
Blues been in a rough stretch for a bit. The first read extended adversity they have faced. Seems like before this slide, we were finding ways to win even when behind, now we might be ahead and find a way to lose. Binner's stats haven't been stellar, but haven't been awful. There have been a few softies, but a lot of poor defensive play in front of him, and the team isn't scoring as much as before.

In the past they would snap out of a streak like this and go on a run after just 2 or 3 losses. We'll see how long it takes to get back on track here.

The thing about the Blues is they play with such thin margins that a bit of bad luck can sway their skill from winner to loser. Over the course of 82 games it'll even out. But a few stretches of bad games isn't a shocker imo.

The team has three problems right now:
- Covering the loss of Tarasenko for a full season is really hard to do.
- David Perron has been human the last 5 games.
- Binnington is going through his first rough patch.

Binnington will start playing a little better. One of the team's many offensive weapons will heat up. The lines will settle. The team will start winning again.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I agree Theo. Perron being human has been big. Petro hasn't been scoring in a few games it seems either.

I said some while ago on LGB that Binner is such a fundamentally sound goalie, that I think we're seeing his floor, and that's not a bad floor. I also think he'll pickup, and I wonder if losing Tank and Sundqvist Destroyer of Worlds* is also too much to handle. Sunny is just such a damn big part of this team.

*Weird nickname from a buddy who thought of it during the playoffs last year. Sounds like a Magic the Gathering type of monster and I think its cool.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Game on pause for Bouwmeester injury. Looks serious. Suddenly went down as he was leaving the ice for shift change.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I saw a replay, that's scary.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Veteran Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester was conscious and alert in an Orange, Calif., hospital after suffering a cardiac episode and collapsing as he sat on the bench during the first period of the team's game with the Anaheiim Ducks on Tuesday night.

Bouwmeester had just completed a shift with the game tied 1-1 at Honda Center. As Blues players skated to the bench during a TV timeout, Bouwmeester collapsed.

Teammates Vince Dunn and Alex Pietrangelo were near Bouwmeester at the time and when they saw what happened they started waving frantically for medical help.

Players from both teams watched from the ice as Blues medical trainers and Anaheim trainers and physicians rushed to Bouwmeester's aid.

Bouwmeester was rushed to a nearby hospital with his father Dan by his side. It was the team's Dads' Trip, so 21 fathers (or in a couple of cases friends or relatives) accompanied the players on this two-game road trip.

A couple of hours later, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong issued a statement released by the team:

"With 7:50 remaining in the first period of our game tonight, Jay Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode and collapsed on our bench after completing his shift. Thankfully, with the quick response of our medical trainers, Anaheim medical trainers and their team physicians, they were able to stabilize Jay.

"He was alert and moving all of his extremities as he was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center. Currently, Jay is conscious and alert as he undergoes further testing by Anaheim's physicians. We will update Jay's condition on Wednesday morning."

Shortly after Bouwmeester was put on a stretcher near the visiting team tunnel and wheeled away, players from both teams left the ice. About 15 minutes later, the game was postponed, with the NHL stating "a decision on when the game will be played will be made in the near future."
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/ ... 18e43.html

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Yeah, I didn't see until this morning. I forced myself to not check on the game because its such a late one and I needed to be up early and alert this morning. Scary.

Just checked the Blues twitter and they said DA will address the situation this afternoon and stream it on the Blues twitter. I'm guessing JBouw is done.

Major props to the Ducks and the NHL for cancelling the game. People's lives are just so much more important than entertainment dollars. Good on them for doing the right thing.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Bouwmeester has to be done for at least the remainder of the season.

I would imagine they've already contacted someone on San Antonio to meet them in Las Vegas tomorrow.

Not sure when they make up this game since they don't go back to the West coast for the remained of the season. They have a few times of 2 days off in a row but they're sandwiched between 2 games on the east coast or in home games.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

When they scheduled the press conference, I thought it meant he was done, but it makes sense to have one. Get the info out that basically, he's okay, and they are going to take their time to do tests to figure out what happened and what is best for him, and to make sure the media didn't overload the players with JBouw questions when they are trying to focus on a game.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Crazy. Sounds like this was a serious problem that could have ended much worse. Regardless of if he returns to the NHL, hopefully he can recover fully.

Different names being given from cardiac episode to cardiac arrest, no idea what the difference is, but they had to use a defibrillator to get his heart going again. Sheesh. Incredibly scary.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »