500 internal server error

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 500 internal server error

Post by CardsofSTL »

What's an "Internal Server Error" and How Do I Fix It?
The good news? It’s not your fault.

The bad news? There’s probably nothing you can do.
So you can't do this?

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

The situation is even weirder. I can post like normal, except for this one article. It used an edited version of an expletive. I kept trying to post the article, including shortening it. It was only when I erased the edited version of the expletive, and typed in the real expletive, that it let me post it.

So weird.

That's what I get for trying to keep it clean.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

mikechamp wrote:
February 13 20, 9:42 pm
The situation is even weirder. I can post like normal, except for this one article. It used an edited version of an expletive. I kept trying to post the article, including shortening it. It was only when I erased the edited version of the expletive, and typed in the real expletive, that it let me post it.

So weird.

It has to do with the security settings on the apache server that grb runs on. It's set to strict to prevent potential hacking attacks.

apostrophe dash dash is a way to close a SQL statement and another dash can open one. So the site is blocking any string that starts with ' has three dashes in it and ends with '

So in your scenario "nt give a f---" with single quotes instead of double was read as a potential SQL injection attack and blocked by the server.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

TheoSqua wrote:
February 13 20, 10:22 pm
mikechamp wrote:

So weird.

It has to do with the security settings on the apache server that grb runs on. It's set to strict to prevent potential hacking attacks.

apostrophe dash dash is a way to close a SQL statement and another dash can open one. So the site is blocking any string that starts with ' has three dashes in it and ends with '

So in your scenario "nt give a f---" with single quotes instead of double was read as a potential SQL injection attack and blocked by the server.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
February 13 20, 10:34 pm
TheoSqua wrote:
February 13 20, 10:22 pm
mikechamp wrote:

So weird.

I had no idea either. I had to post here for help: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2541251

I was worried the site was vulnerable to sql injections. Turns out we're just overly cautious.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

So you're saying mikechamp is a dirty hacker?

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

CardsofSTL wrote:
February 14 20, 11:26 am
So you're saying mikechamp is a dirty hacker?
Oh. Was I supposed to post that in the SECRETS thread?