Post by Radbird »

Congrats, JC!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Getting into shape

Post by JCShutout »

GeddyWrox wrote:
March 5 20, 3:03 pm
No advice on the loose skin other than lots and lots of stomach crunches or surgery to remove it. I don't have much yet, but if I lost another 30 or 40 lbs I think it would start to get fairly noticeable.
Yeah, I am hoping for anything but surgery. Just seems like a waste of money. It didn't really seem noticeable until I got under 180. I was doing pushups shirtless and looked down and thought, "whoa! Yeesh!" My arms, face, chest etc are all fine, but I just had SO MUCH fat for so long around my gut that even though my core is legend in my dojang (no, seriously, I teach a series of "Planksgiving" classes the week after the holiday that rhymes with it), no amount of muscle building could keep up with the fat loss. Its like I now almost look like one of those greek statues (not quite) until you get right above the navel, and then there's just some extra... well, the result of being almost twice the weight for many, many years. I mean, there is some subcultereous fat there, or however you spell it, but I don't want to have no fat, its a great energy source! Keto wasn't great for me in some areas, but I do think it helped kick me over to being a fat burner instead of a carb burner.

TMI perhaps. I've read that crunches/situps don't really work in this way, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm seeing solutions recommending astringents like shea butter or witch hazel applied topically, and maybe drinking more water might help. At least I know I'm healthy. Loose skin might not look the best but if its my biggest issue then I don't have it too bad.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yeah. Sit ups and crunches won't shrink the skin of course, just and tone under the loose stuff. Sounds like you don't have much room for improvement there! Guess it's surgery, or just decide to love it as a sign of how far you've come.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Actually, screw surgery or even caring. I think I got far too caught up in a lot of negative body image stuff. I mean, I always wanted to look better, but mainly it was about health and wanting to be at a certain athletic level. Oddly enough, I got more caught up in the body image stuff the closer I got to this pretty incredible level of fitness. Just got sucked in. There is nothing morally superior about being fit and nothing morally inferior about not being fit, and much of it has to do with stresses in people's lives, which ties into politics and working conditions and this isn't the thread for that.

So screw surgery. Love your bodies people. If you want to get fit, cool. If not, cool. Life is short, be happy and screw others who would judge you, including me if I was being a bit of a prick. And I'm sorry if I was. (No good excuse, other than I'm human)

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

JCShutout wrote:
March 7 20, 9:29 am
Actually, screw surgery or even caring. I think I got far too caught up in a lot of negative body image stuff. I mean, I always wanted to look better, but mainly it was about health and wanting to be at a certain athletic level. Oddly enough, I got more caught up in the body image stuff the closer I got to this pretty incredible level of fitness. Just got sucked in. There is nothing morally superior about being fit and nothing morally inferior about not being fit, and much of it has to do with stresses in people's lives, which ties into politics and working conditions and this isn't the thread for that.

So screw surgery. Love your bodies people. If you want to get fit, cool. If not, cool. Life is short, be happy and screw others who would judge you, including me if I was being a bit of a prick. And I'm sorry if I was. (No good excuse, other than I'm human)
Great post.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I didn't take you as being a prick in here, JC. But knowing you IRL might give me more perspective than others.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

JCShutout wrote:
March 7 20, 9:29 am

JC, you're good people. Also, let's go and have a pint and watch a game again, this year.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Thanks gents. Yes on the game! Lets pick a nice Saturday or Sunday afternoon game a couple of weeks into the season and watch it somewhere with an outside patio.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

You guys have at it. I don't need to be body shamed.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Some positive negative fitness aspects with pandemic:
Positive -pretty sure I am still free and clear of virus
Negative -stress of it affecting job, life, some family erc- I just don't have the mojo for working out
Positive- -eating out has gone almost to zip. Healthier meals at home generally
Negative -caffeine intake up, and self-medicating with a about 3 beers a night
Inconclusive - havent stepped on a scale in a while but sense it is fine

Positive- I have run and or hiked everyday. My new garmin watch keeps moving the steps goal out and (today is 17k, and I am still hitting it each day but one this wk.

Negative-my gym is closed and havent work on strength in a while - I was in a good spot strengthwise before this

Positive - using exercise as a stress reliever more than a stressor - so skipping more intense workouts like gym activity is a good for health