movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: movies

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
April 13 20, 9:23 am
Finally got around to watching Uncut Gems last night. Good movie. Slightly disturbing.
[SHOW]
It was a relief when he finally got shot in the head.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I caught "Movie 43" last night. Didn't know a thing about it beforehand, other than what the very limited on-screen menu guide told me.

Basic summary: it's a collection of sketches inside a loose concept for a movie. The loose concept being, these kids are searching for some very secret movie, Movie 43. They search the internet for it, including the dark web. They get conflicting messages from 2 different bad guys they encounter via a video chat feed, and there's a weird "flash forward" moment, too.

IMO, it comes off as kind of schizophrenic. It was sort of like if you threw a bunch of racy SNL skits into a movie, and then tried to tie them together... somehow. Anyway, if you have a crude or weird sense of humor, the various bits are funny.

The thing that amazed me were the number of big name stars in it. Given the crudeness, I was surprised that award winners like Terence Howard, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry and Richard Gere were in it. (I wasn't surprised to see the likes of Anna Faris, Chris Pratt, Johnny Knoxville, Seann William Scott or Chris Sudekis, however.)

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this movie, and what your take is.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

mikechamp wrote:
April 16 20, 11:54 am
I caught "Movie 43" last night. Didn't know a thing about it beforehand, other than what the very limited on-screen menu guide told me.

Basic summary: it's a collection of sketches inside a loose concept for a movie. The loose concept being, these kids are searching for some very secret movie, Movie 43. They search the internet for it, including the dark web. They get conflicting messages from 2 different bad guys they encounter via a video chat feed, and there's a weird "flash forward" moment, too.

IMO, it comes off as kind of schizophrenic. It was sort of like if you threw a bunch of racy SNL skits into a movie, and then tried to tie them together... somehow. Anyway, if you have a crude or weird sense of humor, the various bits are funny.

The thing that amazed me were the number of big name stars in it. Given the crudeness, I was surprised that award winners like Terence Howard, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry and Richard Gere were in it. (I wasn't surprised to see the likes of Anna Faris, Chris Pratt, Johnny Knoxville, Seann William Scott or Chris Sudekis, however.)

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this movie, and what your take is.
I read an article about that movie awhile back, pretty wild. Kate Winslet and some male actor I can't remember (Hugh Jackman maybe) basically said ok to shoot a short as a favor. The director/producer then basically pitched other celebs really short shoots and led with "Kate Winslet and Hugh Jackman (I think) are in it" got the ball rolling and got them to sign on for little pay, but backend money. Once they were signed on, they basically would not allow anyone to back out.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

andymoor wrote:
March 10 20, 7:29 am
Anna - 7½/10 (Amazon Prime)

Hot blonde, Russian KGB operative is trying to break free from it all. I really enjoyed the '3 months earlier', '5 years earlier' etc, patching together the story.
I caught most of this on HBO the other night. I think I missed the first 40 minutes, but unless I missed something major, I was able to follow along pretty easily and the remainder of the movie made sense.

The lead is very attractive, BTW, but not a lot of big names in this one. Luke Evans (Bard from "The Hobbit") and the guy who played Scarecrow in the newer (Bale) Batman movie. But it's fast-paced action, some beautiful scenery, and a few twists you'd expect from a spy-centric movie. Overall, it was pretty good. Since I didn't see it all, I'll give it a contingent 6.5 out of 10.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Finally getting some viewing done.
Jojo Rabbit and Parasite were everything I wanted them to be. Excited for the American HBO version of Prasite--I think that could be great.

Knives Out was good, but not great, I thought. When I watch movies or shows like that I want there to be an 'of course' moment, and I felt like this one came in from a bit too far off. Maybe I wasn't smart enough to pick up the glimpses--certainly possible. That was my primary complaint for Sherlock with Bilbo and Smaug--the answer was always something wild no one could ever guess.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
April 20 20, 2:14 pm
That was my primary complaint for Sherlock with Bilbo and Smaug--the answer was always something wild no one could ever guess.
This sentence has me completely confused. What is the bolded part referring to?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Sherlock is played by the guy who voiced Smaug and the guy who plays Watson was Bilbo in the Peter Jackson Hobbit. . To be fair, I only ever saw a couple episodes but the reveal might as well have been a magic/psychic trick in both. It isn't exactly like that with Knives Out, but I thought things could have fit together a little better.

Bottom line: I want to have seen the pieces that put the solution together, even (especially, actually) if I couldn't put them together. Again though, that could be on me for not picking up the clues.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

James Gunn recommends 54 "A+ Action Movies to Watch in Quarantine"
https://film.avclub.com/james-gunn-reco ... 1842965694

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Caught a couple movies recently and thought I would share:

"The Kitchen"

It stars Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Hadish and Elizabeth Moss. They are mob wives who decide to get into the biz (in a very hands-on way) after their respective husbands get thrown in prison for 3 years. Moss's character was pretty uninteresting until about halfway through, then she finally has a chance to act a little before her on-screen time ends. McCarthy & Hadish really carry this movie, but I wouldn't rate it as anything more than 6 out of 10.

Fun fact: This was supposedly based on a comic book series, but you'd never know from watching it. (They tell you in the credits.)

"Grandma's Boy"

Produced by Adam Sandler, this is a basically a low-rent, male-focused, stoner movie. It's got some funny parts, and because it was released in 2006, you get to see Jonah Hill in a minor role. Other recognizable names include a very pretty Linda Cardellini, an outlandish character role from Kevin Nealon, a bit part featuring David Spade, Jeff Swardson being Jeff Swardson and a decent-sized role from the mother from "Everybody Loves Raymond". 4 out of 10.