Covid19 Era 1st World Problems

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: Covid19 Era 1st World Problems

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Jocephus wrote:
April 16 20, 11:18 am
and you probalby know but ps4 should allow for plenty of apps if you have other services etc. the consoles can be nice entertainment hubs.
Oh yeah, another cool aspect. I have the PS4 hooked up to a smart tv but it was one of the first smart tvs. I might run Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, etc. from the PS4. Anything noteworthy to use on the PS4 that is maybe a better experience on it???

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

thrill wrote:
April 20 20, 12:10 pm
I just got a promotion and am moving to South Florida (I swear this is the last time I move for the rest of my career). Any GRB member who visits for spring training can print out this post, present it to me at Roger Dean, and I will buy you a beer and hot dog or other beverage/food combo of your choice.

It's a bit strange to contemplate moving in June in this environment and it's difficult to talk about publicly while so many at my company, and others, get laid off or furloughed.
Congrats. I'm in a weird situation too. I feel very fortunate to still have a job (you know, and a pulse, and all my loved ones--lots to be grateful for) where my company is purging people. ...but I don't like it at all, and sometimes I hate it. I was interviewing in January and February, exploring going back to school or something. Now I just gotta grind and be thankful.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Congrats thrill!

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

This may be the douchiest of 1st word covid problems. I had bought my car last year with the intent on flipping it this year. You know drive it a year, wait until summer when sports car price are at peak, sell, buy another rinse, repeat. Well Viper prices are down like 12% since the start of this Covid thing. I guess I'll have to drive one of my childhood dream cars another year or so.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Sinking a putt isn't as gratifying without hearing it rattle in the cup.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

remember that guy in the question mark suit who sold books on how to get money from the government? yeah, he popped in my head today

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

He was on my hit list.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I had to suck it up and bring back Charter Internet at home. I had gone without it for a couple of years just using the hotspot from my phone to stream my TV and everything but with working from home it was starting to be a pain. There goes another $50 a month. I signed up for the cheapest plan but when I got it all installed yesterday it wasn't any faster than my phone hotspot so I had to upgrade to the next level. It's much faster but I hate needing to do it.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
April 21 20, 3:52 pm
Sinking a putt isn't as gratifying without hearing it rattle in the cup.
Not even close.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Does anybody have any experience figuring out why a old POS Dell docking station won't accept the Ethernet connection directly from my cable modem?

Everything else I plug the cable into works, including directly to the laptop, but if I want to use multiple monitors then I need the docking station and it keeps saying that no cable is plugged in.

Since I can't easily set up my work station next to where the cable comes in without completely rearranging half of my apartment, I found a splitter and an extra coaxial cable this morning so I could run that from my living room most of the way into the dining area and then I sat the modem on a chair next to me, ran the ethernet cable to the docking station and then the power cord for the modem under my chair to the power strip. When I started everything up this morning I thought I was golden because everything was working. It wasn't until two hours later when I walked away for a bit that I realized I wasn't OK. I noticed it was reconnecting to the VPN again and that's when I realized that I thought it was using new Charter service but it wasn't. I had left my hotspot on my phone turned on so the previous two hours I had been working off of that and not the hardwired connection like I thought.

I literally worked in the middle of a mass of wires all around me, nearly tripped and destroyed everything multiple times when I would get up and it wasn't even flipping working!!! I used to be the one that all my friends came to with their computer problems and I always figured it out but apparently I've forgotten how to do anything in the years since I last had to mess with stuff. I've gone from tech savvy to left behind without even realizing it.

Long term is isn't a big deal since I have a new wifi router on the way (apparently I forgot until last night that I gave my old one to my grandma when she was having trouble with her setup) but working tomorrow is going to be the old compromise of fast speed and only the laptop screen (painful) or slow speed tethered through my phone (also painful in a different way) but with multiple monitors. Unless there is some simple fix I can try, I guess I'll just have to switch back and forth between multiple monitors and fast Internet until I get the new router.