cancer

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: cancer

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:Let me start by saying that the surgical team at the BJC Siteman cancer center are brave, unflappable heroes. I'm in awe of what they can do, and in a permanent debt and gratitude to them. I'll tell them in person next week. Apparently the surgery they undertook on my dad yesterday was simply not even attempted 10 years ago. The cancer would have been a death sentence just that short a time ago.

My dad was in surgery for about 9 hours yesterday. They removed his stomach and some of his esophagus, recreated the latter using some piece of intestine, and stitched the whole digestive tract back together. My dad is 72 and has a heart condition, so all the while they are keeping his heart rate and blood pressure controlled. They removed all of the cancer, and as of this morning, he's back to consciousness.

The state of modern medicine is simply stunning. I'm kind of overwhelmed today. Recovery is going to be long and painful, but the doctors expect it will be successful.

Thanks, GRB friends, for your kind words in this thread.
That's pretty amazing...I had no idea they could do that. Good luck Zeus.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

That's awesome Zeus! The people at BJC are wizards. My Dad has been battling poor health for a decade basically. heart trouble, cancer, hip problems, etc. When we found out he needed a heart valve replaced no one up here would do it. He was too weak, over weight, etc. His cardiologist sent him to Barnes and he just laughed. He said "I do ten people a week worse that your Dad. Let's get this done." A week or so later he was out and practically back to normal. Then he cracked his hip. Same run around up here. Three doctors, none of them would touch him "he's high risk." Again the team at Barnes was like let's do this. Again a few weeks later he's back to good. So now we are here at decision time with his cancer. I didn't even give his urologist a chance to recommend some yokel in Quincy or Springfield. I said get us someone at Barnes. We are still in the middle of all of it, but I have 100 percent confidence he will come out great.

The difference between the care there and the joke of a health care system we deal with up here is astounding.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Here's to a speedy and strong recovery!

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I almost always avoid this thread, but holy crapanoly that's an amazing tale of medical wizardry!

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

My dad's now out of the hospital and is at Ted Drewes for its re-opening. It's 12 degrees, but he's having a concrete. This is insane and wonderful.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:
February 14 20, 11:22 am
My dad's now out of the hospital and is at Ted Drewes for its re-opening. It's 12 degrees, but he's having a concrete. This is insane and wonderful.
*like*

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

He deserves a concrete at 12 degrees! That's great!!!!

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

heyzeus wrote:
February 14 20, 11:22 am
That is bad ass.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

My dad is back in chemo and I may never be able to go to St. Louis to see him again. Tempted not to post this, because happy endings sound a lot nicer. I dunno. Submit.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I'm sorry to hear that zeus.