The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by Freed Roger »

sounds like you embraced some of my toddler curriculum. Next up, filetting a fish

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Freed Roger wrote:
April 4 20, 9:16 am
sounds like you embraced some of my toddler curriculum. Next up, filetting a fish
Haha. That's right. Except, next up, catching a fish.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Today, I am smoking a 7.5 lb prime rib roast with apple and hickory pellets in my pellet smoker. Using leftovers to make vegetable beef (prime rib) soup.

Tomorrow I am making cheddar bacon stuffed burgers and jalapeno jack stuffed burgers.

Saturday I am smoking 2 slabs of baby backs, chicken breasts in a pan of butter on the smoker and jalapeno cheddar brats - all on my old barrel stick burner with charcoal and hickory.

Looking forward to this will get me through a few more days.

And, I'll be drinking some beers and whiskey with it come the weekend.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Sounds great FB

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Fat_Bulldog

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Saturday doing an 11 lb pork butt and 2 whole chickens on the pellet cheater. Using hickory and apple pellets. Plan on doing the pork butt for about 12 hours at 225. Chickens will take about 4 hours.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

What kind of pellet grill?

Fat_Bulldog

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
April 29 20, 12:32 pm
What kind of pellet grill?
It's a cheapo Masterbuilt. I wanted to try one and not have an investment. Sam's Club had these last year for $399.00. In February, they had them on sale for $199.00. And, if you signed up for their credit card and used it for your purchase, you got a $50.00 credit on the first statement. So, I got it for $150.00.

It has a 20 pound hopper that will hold enough pellets to smoke at 250 for around 8 hours until i have to refill it. It holds the temp very well. The only downside like most pellet grills/smokers is that it doesn't produce a whole lot of smoke. I got a pellet tube for $15.00 to supplement and burn pellets in there like a chain reaction...

I love it. And the next grill I get will probably be a high end one. AND, I'm a traditional stick burner/offset smoker guy. But this is too easy and convenient.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Say it ain't so! I looked at a rec tec a year ago or so but in the end couldn't pull the plug because of 1. the need for electricity, 2. lack of smoke like you mentioned, 3. high cost to purchase and high cost of pellets, and 4. unknown ability to get hot enough to sear.

That mental exercise then made me realize that the perfect grill would be a ceramic egg shape/material with the ability to retain heat and regulate oxygen, that retains the ability to have charcoal/wood fires and get incredibly hot, but also has a pellet burner in it to control temps (if the charcoal burns out). It would literally be the best of all worlds:
High heat capable
No electricty required per se
Plenty of smoke
Capable of a set it and forget it mode

Then I was going to make one, but, uh, realize real quick I couldn't figure out how to get a pellet burner/electrical wires above a charcoal fire and be capable of withstanding that heat, nor do I know how to mold ceramic, so the idea came with one beer and was gone by the third, maybe fourth.

Fat_Bulldog

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Pellets aren't that expensive. I can get a 20 lb bag for $9.99 at a local farm/hardware store.

Sometimes Lowe's has 40 lb bags of pellets for $15.99.