Covid19 Era 1st World Problems

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Covid19 Era 1st World Problems

Post by tlombard »

Got the new router this morning and set everything up... but now I think I am going to have to buy a new desk and chair this weekend. They sent out an email saying that they are extending work at home requirements until at least June 1. I have a well cushioned behind but even with that I can't take sitting in this dining room chair all day much longer. My butt hurts bad by the end of the day.

I need to see if I can expense all this garbage since I wouldn't be spending any of this money without these work at home mandates from the company.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Radbird wrote:
April 25 20, 9:57 am
This might help in the interim.
LOL. I've just been sitting on a pillow from the couch. I didn't go out and buy a desk and chair yet but I probably will this week/weekend.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

I bought a Flowbee a few years ago. It sucks as it cuts, I said. It certainly does suck, they said.

Now my kids have okay-looking hair instead of unruly mops. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, WAYNE?!?!

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

My kid's teacher puts videos reading books to the students on YouTube. After it ended one of the suggested next videos was a red X over a globe and a green check mark next to a flat Earth. "Daddy what's this?" he asked. It wasn't his teacher's video, thank goodness. But goddamit YouTube. Kids are always two mouseclicks from a beheading or dangerous indoctrination. We use it very carefully at our house.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Donnie Ebert wrote:
April 27 20, 6:22 pm
I bought a Flowbee a few years ago. It sucks as it cuts, I said. It certainly does suck, they said.

Now my kids have okay-looking hair instead of unruly mops. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, WAYNE?!?!
We kind of fell off the quarantine wagon a little this weekend and last Friday morning I was joking with a friend that the GF and I were coming over to drink on their patio by the fire that night. Well, he told us to come on over so we did. It was her first time meeting him, his wife and three kids. Then yesterday my dad wanted us to come over to have a few beers on their deck so we did. It was the GF's first time meeting my dad, his fiance and her 28 year old son. This weekend was exactly what we needed. Friday was a lot of fun and relaxing but calm overall. Yesterday was a complete f'ing riot. My dad and his fiance's son pound beer, argue and bet on anything. What started with betting on live horse racing they found on TV ended up with my dad getting to cut the other's hair with his new clippers in exchange for wiping out the $35 that my dad was owed from the horse races. He did NOT do a good job. My dad was drunk and the mohawk he tried to give the poor guy looked drunk too.

And then I thought things were going south when politics came up and I couldn't steer my Trump Humping father away from the subject but I was nearly in tears from laughing so hard two and a half hours later when we finally left (it was 10pm before we even knew it). My Trump Hating GF ate him alive and couldn't get enough of it. I think it is because she was raised by die hard conservatives and as a woman, what she had to say meant nothing. Women are not to be heard in their world. She was able to have the kind of argument with my dad that she never could with her family and neither of them took anything personally and were laughing the entire time as my dad said stupid stuff like, "I can't believe my son married a f'ing Liberal' and 'now I see why you never brought her around until now.'

I don't know where my dad got the married part from.

Anyway, this was just the weekend that we needed, just a little sense of normalcy in these crazy times. I know I'm in such a better mood this morning than I have been in weeks and the first text I got was from the GF saying that my dad and them are awesome people and she had a great time even though she's hung over as hell this morning.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Did anybody actually succeed in getting tacos yesterday evening?

The GF ended up giving me a nice little birthday yesterday. We picked up curbside for lunch, ate it in City Garden, got Fritz's for dessert and then sat around a fire and had a few drinks with a couple of others while adhering to social distancing and crowd size guidelines. Her plan was to get tacos and margaritas delivered in the evening but that went to poo not long after Fritz's. It was about 4pm when we were driving back towards the city and we passed El Nopal, Hacienda and Nacho Mamma's on the way. Every single place had a HUGE line of cars already. We then tried to order from Las Fuentes to pick up but the friend who went there after placing the order found a line of over 150 cars (by his estimate) snaking around the parking lot and backing up down the street. From there she tried ordering from Taco Bell to have it delivered through Postmates but apparently they were so busy that no driver would take the order. So we ended up with pizza. We should have just gone with Jack N the Box tacos.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Stocked up yesterday. About a 50-minute drive to Costco with hardly any traffic. Senior hours. N95 mask.

Should be set for awhile. Water. TP. Meat. Eggs. Bacon. Cheese. Rice. Beans. Fruit. Veges. Chips. Cleaning supplies. Wipes. Paper towels. Shampoo. Body wash.

Didn’t quite have TWD supply run vibe that I was hoping for. Maybe I should’ve packed the machete and crossbow. Although I would’ve been tempted to use them on the old guys who only covered their mouths and the lady who decided to stop in front of the cheese I wanted to buy and perform an audit of her shopping list and then look annoyed when I violated her sacred 6-foot zone.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

So, my 14 y/o daughter is dying to go somewhere this summer. She definitely understands the gravity of the current state of things, but sees states "opening up" and wants to travel. She loves beaches and seeing interesting things, but isn't much of a camping type person. And TBH, neither am I. But I'm much happier than she is to just sit in front of a camp fire for several days.

Assuming things stay relatively status quo (no big spikes, no sudden miracle cure) do you think it would be safe to do a driving vacation to a beach, or perhaps just a driving tour of states we haven't been to yet with stays in hotels along the way?

We are mask-wearers and would probably prepare our own food or do take out everywhere. No sitting in restaurants.

Just wondering what consensus is on the idea.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

GeddyWrox wrote:
May 15 20, 11:56 am
So, my 14 y/o daughter is dying to go somewhere this summer. She definitely understands the gravity of the current state of things, but sees states "opening up" and wants to travel. She loves beaches and seeing interesting things, but isn't much of a camping type person. And TBH, neither am I. But I'm much happier than she is to just sit in front of a camp fire for several days.

Assuming things stay relatively status quo (no big spikes, no sudden miracle cure) do you think it would be safe to do a driving vacation to a beach, or perhaps just a driving tour of states we haven't been to yet with stays in hotels along the way?

We are mask-wearers and would probably prepare our own food or do take out everywhere. No sitting in restaurants.

Just wondering what consensus is on the idea.
We've kicked around what a summer trip might look like, and the rules of thumb I'm coming back to are:

- within a day's drive (no flights)
- place where rentals are common (no hotels) and you can enjoy scenery and your stay without needing to plan activities every day
- a socially distant activity or two(e.g. kayaking, a scenic drive, etc)

The way I think of it, driving to a rental on a lake and enjoying that change of pace along with a few outdoor activities while cooking for ourselves isn't increasing a lot of risk compared to every day tasks.