TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by ghostrunner »

If you're at all interested in how movies are made and you have Disney+, I highly highly recommend watching the Technology episode of the Mandalorian behind the scenes show.

They filmed most of that show indoors on a stage, but using what are basically a video wall equivalent of the old matte paintings they used to use before location shooting was common and long before green screens. It's a huge, almost 360 degree video wall and it's tied into a gaming engine, so they can change the setting on a dime if there's nothing on the floor that needs to be shot. If it's a shot that includes the floor, the floor is actually decorated like a desert, swamp, city, etc... and it has to match what's on the video screen. They can also tie the video walls to the camera movements so that when the camera moves the video wall changes so it can "see" behind a tree if it goes left or right. It largely eliminates green screen so actors don't have to interact with blank walls and objects covered in green cloth or paint.

I read a long article about it months ago and kept dropping my jaw and shaking my head as I was reading. I love reading about this stuff in general, so ymmv.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

maybe i'll try that episode. i remember i watched the first episode and maybe 5 mins of the 2nd episode in that BTS of the mandalorian series...and i had to turn it off they were fawning over star wars/disney/themselves so much. and i really enjoyed the mandalorian.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

One other cool thing is that they can do dawn/dusk shots anytime they want. This is notoriously difficult to do with location shooting because you just get 30-60 minutes and once you get through a few takes you’re done for the day.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

well...i could not get into space force. i did like the 2nd half more than the first half but not saying much. first half really dragged, imo. i'm not sure i really laughed thru the whole thing. it's obviously a great cast and well credentialed writing/directing people, well shot, well produced/financed/set pieces, all that but the writing was just boring to me. so many things just seemed to go nowhere or have very little impact.

and i suppose as an aside, i can get "turned off" when real life people/things are referenced, can take me out of it. they never say trump but behaviors like his are referenced, but worse, they had an AOC based character, i think a pelosi type character (at least based on the last name of the character)...and granted they only have like, 10 mins of screentime thru the whole thing but i dunno, it just didn't blend well to me. i mean, i get the show was based on the announcement of space force so it makes sense to have these real life counterparts but i dunno. meh.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I don't have Netflix, but I was curious to hear how they dealt with the passing of Fred Willard in the storyline.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp wrote:
June 3 20, 12:02 pm
I don't have Netflix, but I was curious to hear how they dealt with the passing of Fred Willard in the storyline.
i don't think there was any issue. he plays carell's senile father. he actually was probably the funniest one on the show, imo.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Jocephus wrote:
June 3 20, 12:07 pm
mikechamp wrote:
i don't think there was any issue. he plays carell's senile father. he actually was probably the funniest one on the show, imo.
Oh, ok. Has the entire season already been filmed?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp wrote:
June 3 20, 12:10 pm
Jocephus wrote:
June 3 20, 12:07 pm
mikechamp wrote:
Oh, ok. Has the entire season already been filmed?
yeah, it's done. wikipedia says it finished filming in jan

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

That's good. He did a guest spot on "Modern Family" towards the end of their season. I don't know when it was filmed, but he didn't look too good.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

finally made it "NOT GREAT BOB!!" in Mad Men and honestly i could prolly quit watching the show now and be completely satisfied.