2020 MLB Draft Talk

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2020 MLB Draft Talk

Post by mikechamp »

CardsofSTL wrote:
June 16 20, 8:07 pm
Why are the Cardinals signing people to play an extinct sport?
Shots fired!

Tags:

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Apparently, some MLB teams are offering some shady deals to both drafted and undrafted players. You know, if only the minor leaguers had... I don't know... some kind of union... of say, professional baseball players that could... I don't know... assist them in some way. I don't know where they would find that, though.

P.S. The link to the original BA article is broken.

Some Teams Are Offering 2021 Contracts To Incoming Amateur Players

Now, some teams are looking to carve out yet further concessions from amateur talent, as Kyle Glaser of Baseball America reports. Glaser reports, based upon sources at top agencies, that “at least four teams were offering nondrafted players, as well as a few drafted players, contracts for 2021 rather than 2020.”

The idea here is to obtain the rights to the player, while delaying his entry to the team’s system. That also pushes back the application of the rules — Rule 5 eligibility, minor-league free agency — that were designed to create upward pressure in a farm system.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/ ... ayers.html

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Huh, didn’t even think about that till now. I just assumed they’d start in 2021 since there’s no minor league season in 2020

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Leaves around 4mil for Wynn, Hence and Bedell (apparently signed, but haven't seen an amount).

Shouldn't be too much trouble getting them signed.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Masyn Winn has been signed. Terms havent been released.

Tink Hence is expected to sign tomorrow.

jack76
Everyday Player

Post by jack76 »

MLBTradrumors has it as follows:
The Cardinals announced the signing of second-round pick Masyn Winn on Wednesday, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch relays. Winn will earn $2.1MM, which is above the $1,338,500 recommended slot value of his pick (No. 54), per Jim Callis of MLB.com. Winn, a Texas high school shortstop/right-hander who committed to Arkansas before the draft, is a legitimate prospect on both ends, according to Callis.

My math says the Cards have 1.925 M left for Tink and Bedell.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

With all of these minor leaguers not being able to play a regular season this year I kind of hope the MLB teams are able to figure out a way to do some sort of an instructional league for a month this fall. So they don't draft these guys then have to wait until February of next year to start developing them.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

jack76 wrote:
June 25 20, 6:18 am
MLBTradrumors has it as follows:
The Cardinals announced the signing of second-round pick Masyn Winn on Wednesday, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch relays. Winn will earn $2.1MM, which is above the $1,338,500 recommended slot value of his pick (No. 54), per Jim Callis of MLB.com. Winn, a Texas high school shortstop/right-hander who committed to Arkansas before the draft, is a legitimate prospect on both ends, according to Callis.

My math says the Cards have 1.925 M left for Tink and Bedell.
Agreed. Assuming it will be something like $1.37m for Hence and 550k for Bedell.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »