Deadspin

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Re: Deadspin

Post by greenback44 »

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-a ... 1837487584
The editors and writers and video producers and artists and sales reps and product managers and so on—the people who made this a successful company while also making it the best place I can imagine working—are its actual leaders, and the reason that, despite it all, these websites will continue writing things the rest of us want to read. But none of those people are the richest person here, which means they will keep succeeding despite—not because of—the man who is. He doesn’t know what they know; he doesn’t have to know. No one like him does.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

It's dead.

I was a hater. I also think that condescendinly jerking off to how stupid people are is something they should have moved past long ago (and they did a bit, I'd say), and was a culture for an internet past. Maybe it wasn't true when they started, but once everyone got online what they were doing was a lot of punching down. Once everyone was tearing each other apart on SM, it wasn't very subversive anymore, in fact it became poisonous.

But unfortunate and a little scary how this went down.

Media is totally [expletive]. Hopefully the channels for journalism and truth that are thoughtful and brave (not that Deadspin was either of those things hardly ever, though they sure thought they were) and pursuing truth and meaning before clicks will have a place at least to be sought, if not able to break through. Hedge funds buying, gutting, and killing ventures is scary.

I don't know what kind of non compete or other barriers all these writers signed/have. I wonder if they might be able to just take their ball to another field. Hater and all, I'd genuinely wish them a lot of luck if they did.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

I'm sure any outlet in the Deadspin range in terms of worldview would be happy to hire their writers. Any who does will score some social media points.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I just want my Thursday Jambaroo back.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Magary's weekly Funbag is on Vice, so maybe they'll pick them all up.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

33anda3rd wrote:Magary's weekly Funbag is on Vice, so maybe they'll pick them all up.
Excellent. Thanks for the tip. I was trying to figure out what was missing from my day yesterday and now I know. I was missing the Funbag!

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Deadspin was good and took on the powerful and arrogant and officious in the world of sports and beyond. Sometimes they were also puerile and funny. The gutting of that site is a major loss, and it would be awesome if the editorial team all landed together in another place but I doubt that happens.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

[expletive] YES

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn