Can Pujols hit 700 Homers?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Can Pujols hit 700 Homers?

Post by TheoSqua »

I know it's been a while since Albert was a Cardinal, but i still enjoy watching the sunset of his career and it's disappointing that a pandemic might kill his chances of hitting 700 home runs.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/7/31 ... lo-stanton

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Can Pujols hit 700 Homers?

Post by CardsofSTL »

Maybe they'll juice the balls some more

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

His Angels contract runs out after next season, are they going to offer him another one after that when he's 42? He's 43 homers short right now and I just don't see him still being able to be productive in 2022.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Interesting point. With a full season 2020 and 2021, he most likely could have done it. But as it stands, it's unlikely. He's not a major league caliber starting player today, and I don't see anyone paying him to do so in 2022. Maybe he could put together a few seasons as a PH/DH and eke out the 700, but I'm not sure they'll be playing 162 games in 2021 either.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

heyzeus wrote:
August 3 20, 9:06 am
Interesting point. With a full season 2020 and 2021, he most likely could have done it. But as it stands, it's unlikely. He's not a major league caliber starting player today, and I don't see anyone paying him to do so in 2022. Maybe he could put together a few seasons as a PH/DH and eke out the 700, but I'm not sure they'll be playing 162 games in 2021 either.
I could see a team like the Marlins signing him in 2022. Not the Marlins specifically, but an AL team on pace to lose 100 games that thinks bringing in Pujols might help with attendance.

If the Cardinals were tanking it'd be a decent idea.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Won't the Angels personal services contract after he retires preclude him from playing with someone else? Or are the Angels hoping that Albert forgets about that detail and they try to get out of that with him.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

JoeMcKim wrote:
August 3 20, 2:24 am
His Angels contract runs out after next season, are they going to offer him another one after that when he's 42? He's 43 homers short right now and I just don't see him still being able to be productive in 2022.
Keep in mind that is listed age of 42. Recall that he essentially admitted that he is likely ~5 years older than his listed age based on his anecdote of hitting a HR off of Octavio Dotel (who turns 47 later this year) in little league. Unless he was so skilled at that age that he could hit HR's off of kids 6 years older than him.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I wouldn't be shocked if Albert is released before his contract runs out.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Does Pujols even have 700 staunch fans in the L.A. area?

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

JoeMcKim wrote:
August 4 20, 1:43 am
Won't the Angels personal services contract after he retires preclude him from playing with someone else? Or are the Angels hoping that Albert forgets about that detail and they try to get out of that with him.
Since the personal services contract wouldn't begin until he retires, it shouldn't have any effect on who he can sign with while he's still playing. He could go somewhere else, retire, and then activate the contract with the Angels.