Life changes

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Life changes

Post by TGantz »

I'm sad about GRB, but excited about the future.
Last edited by TGantz on August 17 22, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Life changes

Post by lukethedrifter »

Sounds like some pretty good changes. Hope they go well for you.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Remember everything you learned here, and you will go far in life. Tshirt underpants, fish tacos, stinkpalms, how to MSPaint, proper urinal etiquette, etc.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Nice, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and best of luck to both of you going forward. Remember never go to bed angry and it will all work out.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

IMADreamer wrote:Nice, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and best of luck to both of you going forward. Remember never go to bed angry and it will all work out.
That's one of those pieces of advice people always give married couples, and guess what.....good [expletive] luck w/ that!

may or may not be a blue font comment! :P

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

i tried it. She just woke me up anyway.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

TGantz wrote:I'm getting married in February. We've been together for four years. We met at the school for children with autism where we both worked. She's a music therapist, and runs a day program for adults with disabilities.

Also, I'm transferring to a different department. For the past year I've been managing several group homes. It's been on call 24/7 for the past year, and I simply can't do it anymore. 60+ hr work week was the norm, and a lot of covering shifts myself due to staffing shortages, including awake overnights. I'm transferring to the Pre-employment department where I will work with adults with disabilities developing job skills with the goal being gainful employment.

I'm sad about GRB, but excited about the future.

YOu are truly doing the Lord's work. Godspeed.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Learning of cronos passing got me thinking and I thought I'd share some stuff.

The past year has been wild. Around this time last year my wife had a stroke. It was not a life threatening one, but it did mess her up bad. It gave her double vision and vertigo. It took months before she could drive again. It was really bad for about 3 months. The double vision has cleared up. The vertigo still comes and goes sometimes, but it will now go away after a couple minutes. Before, she could have vertigo for hours, days, and just be miserable. No idea why it happened. She's not a heavy drinker. She was only 44. She's been on blood pressure medication, but her blood pressure is under control. Genetics maybe played a role. She tested positive for some gene known to cause blood clots in legs, but even that seems like a long shot. Good news is today she just started a new job for the first time since before the stroke.

I know I talked about this somewhat on here but in January I left a company I worked at for 18 years. They offered a buyout because their business was struggling. I took another job for now, but I am taking classes on nights and weekends to get my teaching license. I sometimes wonder if I'm crazy to go into teaching during a pandemic. I am doing it because I feel like it will be more meaningful than what I've been doing all these years.

Finally, I have been reading a lot about the autism spectrum. I have a few friends who are on the spectrum and I felt like my son may be also. Now I think I may be on the spectrum myself! I'm thinking about getting me and my son tested. Even if we do not have enough of the traits to say we "have autism spectrum disorder", we definitely have some of the traits. Some of the traits are common to other conditions, such as ADHD. So we'll see, but I am convinced my son and I have *something*. One of the traits is a "pedantic" speaking style and/or writing style. I will sometimes give way more detail than is really needed (this post is probably an prime example). This style of communicating can sometimes come off as condescending, but that's unintentional. I realized I have been guilty of that on here. Thanks for putting up with my pedantic writing all these years. It has really changed my self image for the better. Before i thought I was just a normal guy so I'd really get down on myself when I'd fail at things that came easier to other people. Understanding that maybe I'm just wired different from other people has helped me accept some of my failings. Now we gotta weed work on getting my son this understanding.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Thanks for sharing pioneer. I hope your wife’s recovery continues!

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Definitely hope your wife keeps on the upswing and good luck with your changes. Teachers are my heroes and I'm not exaggerating that at all. I come from a family full of teachers, have a lot of teacher friends, and some of the greatest influences on my life were teachers. Huge respect to all.