RIP Lou Brock

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Tulsacard
Single A Minor League Player

Re: RIP Lou Brock

Post by Tulsacard »

Lou Brock was my first sports hero, starting when I was 7 back in 1967. He is still my favorite sports hero. I wore #20 as a kid playing baseball and learned to copy Lou’s pop up slide when I stole bases. He was a great baseball player and a better person, just a wonderful, classy man. May the Lord bring peace to Lou’s wife & family during this difficult time.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Tulsacard wrote:
September 6 20, 6:19 pm
Lou Brock was my first sports hero, starting when I was 7 back in 1967. He is still my favorite sports hero. I wore #20 as a kid playing baseball and learned to copy Lou’s pop up slide when I stole bases. He was a great baseball player and a better person, just a wonderful, classy man. May the Lord bring peace to Lou’s wife & family during this difficult time.
Thanks for sharing Tulsa.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

With Lou's health problems in recent years I unfortunately was expecting this news eventually. Lou lived a great life and one of the best leadoff hitters of all time.

Jayramball04
All-Star

Post by Jayramball04 »

Rip Lou Brock, grew up watching this guy play ...one of the very best to put on a cardinal uniform...

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Birdfan57
Veteran Player

Post by Birdfan57 »

A sad day for Cardinals fans everywhere. Not only a great player but a great man. Anytime he was on the pregame show on radio or the "star of the game" post game show, he was always a class act. The memories of him hitting and running wild in the 67 and 68 World Series, I will remember vividly. I remember a Sunday afternoon game in Busch in 1969 when he homered leading off the bottom of the 9th to win the game against Chicago. The Cubs announcer was distraught, saying to the effect that was a horrible turn of events. All my dad said was, "not if you're a Cardinals fan!" And 1974 was so memorable.
You were a great all-time Cardinal, Lou Brock. RIP

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

a great Cardinal. Perhaps my favorite. Closest thing to a sports idol . Watching ( listening mostly- but theatre of the mind) his pursuits of 3k hits and Ty Cobbs SB records with my brothers are great memories. we were completely obsessed with the SB - we created a quasi-baseball Sb game called Lou Brock. RIP Sweet Lou.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I just sent my condolences to his daughter-in-law, who as a grade-school classmate. I was a too young to remember either the '64 or '67 championships, but Brock was one of the defining greats of the Cardinals when I was growing up, and his pursuit of stolen-base records was sometimes the highlight of a given season during the disappointing '70's. But what a class act, and what a pleasure to watch. He was a blessing to the Cardinals fanbase and the city of St. Louis, as well as part of the stupidest trade the Cubs ever made--all because they didn't want too many Black players on their team.