Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Radbird »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
October 16 20, 5:17 pm
Four hours of Wildflowers became available today. Every piece of it is wonderful: remastered original, abandoned disc 2, demo recordings, live disc.

Fantastic.

edit: I don't want to pretend like I notice the difference between the remastered without a direct A/B--and maybe even then I wouldn't pick up much. But the album is still great.
I’m psyched, esp for the abandoned songs.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

They play the whole album but the best songs IMO are the first two, and then the one that starts at 26:07

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Sturgill Simpson released "Cuttin Grass" last week which is many of his whole songs redone in bluegrass style. It's excellent.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Not sure how many headlines this will garner, but I felt it was important not to let her death go unnoticed:
World's 'Fastest Girl Drummer' Is Gone

The "fastest girl drummer in the world" is gone. Viola Smith, a swing musician who fought for female inclusion in the big-band era, died Wednesday at home in Costa Mesa, Calif., the Washington Post reports. She was 107. At a time when jazz giants like Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman dominated the dance-band world, Smith led her own group—the all-female Coquettes—with a 12-drum kit that featured two big tom-toms by her shoulders. The band was best-known for the playful arabesque "The Snake Charmer" with Smith's dramatic drum-frills. She also made waves with a 1942 DownBeat essay called "Give Girl Musicians a Break!" that urged top band leaders to include more women—especially with so many men fighting in World War II.

"Instead of replacing them with what may be mediocre talent, why not let some of the great girl musicians of the country take their places?" she wrote. "Girls work right along beside men in the factories, in the offices. ... So why not in dance bands?" They mostly didn't, but Smith found steady work in Phil Spitalny's all-girl band—which played in the Abbott & Costello comedy Here Come the Co-Eds—and later in the Kit Kat Band jazz quartet heard in the musical Cabaret on Broadway, per the Guardian.

"I really had a charmed life," she told Tom Tom in 2013. "Unless people call drumming work. Then I worked hard in my life."

https://www.newser.com/story/297894/wor ... -gone.html

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

IMADreamer wrote:
October 18 20, 7:00 pm
Sturgill Simpson released "Cuttin Grass" last week which is many of his whole songs redone in bluegrass style. It's excellent.
Really excellent

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

thought this was interesting...and i dont think it's very political in of itself, just talking, mostly, about the music of the 2000s

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

pioneer98 wrote:
October 18 20, 12:15 pm
They play the whole album but the best songs IMO are the first two, and then the one that starts at 26:07

Really young women are killing it in the indie/garage/diy/bedroom/songwriter space. Phoebe, obviously. But there's a ton of them. There's a couple playlists on Spotify I listen to. Impressive stuff. There's more meritocracy than ever in music, it seems to me. They dress weird though--if they walk down my street I will shake my rake vigorously.
[SHOW]

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Whoa. Yes please, obviously. But still, whoa. Huh.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

May belong in the guilty pleasures thread but anyway

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
October 27 20, 12:03 pm
Really young women are killing it in the indie/garage/diy/bedroom/songwriter space. Phoebe, obviously. But there's a ton of them. There's a couple playlists on Spotify I listen to. Impressive stuff. There's more meritocracy than ever in music, it seems to me. They dress weird though--if they walk down my street I will shake my rake vigorously.

I will have to check out the others you mentioned. Beabadoobee got their break when one of their songs was used in a TikTok video that went viral and got like 1 billion+ views (Beabadoobee was their screen name, so that's why the weird name stuck). We live in strange times. It reminds me of the thing that happened with the song "Forever" by Chvrches. It got used in some Spanish language Netflix show this year, and the song was repeated at several emotional points in the show. The song went viral largely due to Netflix viewers in Mexico and Latin America. So Chvrches released it as a single 2 years after it was released on their album.